Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How many days a week should you practice

I know it’s subjective but what’s a general rule of thumb ? I saw on kens Instagram chat with Gabbi, she said every other day she would warm up and then sing songs for 40 plus minutes ? Is this a good way to do it ? Also, Which volumes should I focus on if my technique is decent ? To sum up is 2-3 hours every other day a good way to start ? Also will this improve my stamina and will it help increase range ? Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited December 2023
    to start, 2-3 hrs might be a bit too much. beginners are told to do about 10-20 mins a day and slowly move up to the full 45 mins (vol 1) and then 1 hr eventually for the higher volumes. that's warmup only, no "singing songs" included remember we want to build muscle and muscle memory, so quality beats quantity. if you can handle it and don't feel fatigued, you are probably ready for such an amount, but you might have to find a balance that works for you. i find that sometimes a break of a few days (mostly unintentional due to life), or dialing back to vol 1 or the starters for a few days makes me feel really good coming back to vol 3. not sure why but i suggest you experiment with a few variations to find your ideal pattern. in general, 5-6 times a week, i would not deviate from this too much because Ken suggests this, and i am sure this is not a random number but based on experience
  • Options
    louisjameslouisjames Enrolled Posts: 125
    I wouldn’t say I’m a beginner, I’ve been a touring artist for over 15 years. But after covid first hit the band finished and I stopped singing daily for quite some time. Just singing here and there for recordings etc. so with that in mind, I suppose you could say I’m kind of starting all over (beginner) I’ve clearly lost something … and it’s heartbreaking … that being said I can manage to sing for a few hours or so:.. I’m just not sure where I should start from seeing how I haven’t done much over the past few years… I can still sing along to my old stuff and bands such as zeppelin and gnr… but it’s a day to day thing sometimes I have it others k don’t … I lack patienece with myself. I just want to be able to sing how I used to…. I think alot of it is in my head tbh but that’s half the battle
  • Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 356

Now that you've shared your recent context, @louisjames , it sounds very similar to what another student @Joshua has been going through. You are both singers who reached a high level of development before taking an extended break. You might want to check out his recent posts:

Start of return
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17773/im-not-new-but-ive-been-away-for-so-long-its-like-i-am#

latest update
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17181/extended-rest-experiences#

Gabby also mentions starting back with singing every other day when coming back from a break. There's a lot of wisdom in that's not so obvious. Among other things, it means we do our vocal work for the day then the growth/recovery happens between sessions (kind of like weightlifting.) I like watching training videos or one of Ken's skype lessons with another student during recovery, sometimes on double-speed. Amazing what little gems I missed on the first time through.