Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

No head voice teaching in KTVA?

I realized that Ken actually never teaches how to do the head voice, but only explains what head voice is and then goes right to the exercises for head voice. I mean, how do one even create the sound of let say C6 in the throat to begin with, what sensation should one look for and so on? Where is the actual explanation on how to create the head voice? Or is Ken perhaps taking for granted that everyone has a vocal range of 4-5 octaves!?

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    the full course discusses head voice and teaches it. do you own it and have done it properly?
  • Options
    ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    Hi @Emjey ,

Head voice isn't taught directly in the public videos because the course begins with building a strong chest voice as a foundation. We then start training the head voice, but always alternate it with continuing chest voice training to keep the chest voice strong. It is intentional. Later, we train a mixed voice.

The way you're describing the videos makes it sound as if Ken is trying to trick us. He is not.

To sing C6 in head voice, I use an extremely tiny amount of air. My vocal cords are almost closed. The back of my throat is very open. I am relaxed, except for the diaphragmatic support I am using to keep back the air.

I don't know how to describe how it feels to sing in head voice. That's something you discover yourself by doing it. You could try doing sliders, where you vocalise a sound that ranges smoothly from the lowest note you can produce, to the highest, for example.