Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Buying a Microphone

Chris82Chris82 Posts: 832.0 PRO
I'm hoping to get a conversation going about microphones. I want to buy a good condenser mic but I don't really know what to look for when it comes to a good singing mic. Back in the day when I streamed video games on twitch I used Blue Yeti USB Microphone. It sounded fantastic for speaking but I never tried to use it for singing. Does anyone have any experience with singing with this mic or have any suggestions on other budget friendly condenser mics?

My current requirements in a mic are:
• Needs to be USB
• Zero Latency Headphone Monitoring
• Designed to support a pop filter

Comments

• DiegoDiego Posts: 8132.0 PRO
    Personally I have a Blue Yeti Mic. And it's very good. I would recommend it.
    The thing is how much are you willing to spend for a microphone?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,033Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    @Diego, does it support zero latency headphone monitoring? Doc
  • Chris82Chris82 Posts: 832.0 PRO
    edited May 10
    @doc_ramadani It does. I used to own this mic a long time ago but it got lost in a move.

@Diego I would like to keep it under $200 so this mic at around $100 is well within my budget but I also want a good mic that I won't have to be upgrading a year from now either. I wonder if their Blue Yeti Pro Mic is really worth the extra $150....

Looks like the only difference between the normal and pro versions are the max recording resolution:
    • Yeti : 48 kHz/16-bit
    • Yeti Pro: 192 kHz/24-bit

Is that going to make a huge difference and is that difference really worth an extra $150?

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,033Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    @Chris82,

you do not need the sample rate of 192 kHz but the sample depth of 24 bit increases the dynamic range. But personally I would stay with the normal Yeti because 24 bit won't make you sound better - but doing the scales will make you better.

Shane told me a saying: "You can't put lipstick on a pig."

I own a Rode NT-1A (around $ 100.-). It sounds a little bit harsh, to my personal opinion (others like the sound), but it works for everything that I need it for.

Doc
  • MystiMysti Posts: 2342.0 PRO
    edited May 11
    I use an akg 200 condenser mic that works pretty well and runs around $150 US for the current iteration, the akg 220. I use an iRig pre analog to provide phantom power and connect it to my iPad for recording via the headphone jack. For PC or Mac, you can get an external sound card for around $10 US, or a good one like the soundblaster k3 for around $130. Just another option so you don't necessarily have to get a USB microphone.
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 325Pro
    edited May 11
    Great topic. I'm a bit of a gear snob, so I love talking about this. Is there a reason your mic HAS to be USB? There's been innovation in this area, but this requirement is quite a strong limitation in quality.

Apogee, a high-end audio company, released a USB mic called their Mic+. I was quite surprised. However, they're basically just putting a small interface inside the mic. That's probably your best bet, sound-wise, although it's $249. Maybe you can catch it on sale.

@Diego, does it support zero latency headphone monitoring? Doc

No, you need an interface if you want zero latency with this one.
  • MystiMysti Posts: 2342.0 PRO
    The focusrite looks like a better option. You can get the solo version for around 110 US and it has better preamp and gives you that 192khz / 24 bit along with the phantom power. You can then add whatever mic you want,

Your post got me looking as I need something smaller than my xenyx 1204 to hook up to my laptop. I am looking hard at the focusrite 2i2 for $50 more and may pick one up today.
    I own the Scarlett Solo (USB) and the RODE NT-1A. I use this to make all my recordings (vocals, miking the guitar amp, drums, piano, trumpet ...). My next investment might be a tube preamp (e.g. Presonus - around € 300,- here in Germany).

As DAW I own Logic - the bigger brother of GarageBand. But GarageBand is already very powerful.
  • Chris82Chris82 Posts: 832.0 PRO
    I went ahead and ordered the normal blue yeti. If it's good enough for @Diego then it's good enough for me! Though @Diego I'm pretty sure the blue yeti has monitoring (at least my old one did). You just plug a headset into the bottom and turn the volume knob to adjust the monitor volume and then make sure the mute button is off. I just really hope I can get it working with my phone or iPad otherwise I will be pretty sad faced.
    @Chris82 Yes it does have monitoring, what I was talking about it having zero latency .