Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

New Here! Just wanted to ask a question :)

Can I expand my head voice if I have a whistle register? My head voice gets sharp/airy around F5/G5 and sometimes my whistle register starts around Bb5, C6 or D#6. I don't know if I'm singing in my head voice or not.

Best Answer

Answers

• blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 470Pro
    I'm of the belief that everyone has a whistle register, even if they haven't accessed it yet. You can strengthen and train your head voice for sure, but personally I like to go into whistle wherever my voice naturally wants to go. It can be a resonant, loud register if it's properly honed.

Do you have any audio examples?

@Diego knows some stuff about whistle. Maybe he can help.
  • _AshleighMarie__AshleighMarie_ Posts: 9Member
    @blondiewales, I'm pretty sure it's whistle register since how high up I have gone but I would also love for my head voice to be a lot stronger and just expand my range ( not too far, just 2 or 3 notes)
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 1,007Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    edited October 22
    Yeah like @GuyChan said you should feel a break when you reach whistle. The whole sensation totally CHANGES, whistle feels like you have less space than you would in head since the epiglottis covers the cords. The sounds also becomes a little squeaky
    I have audio of my whistles (I've got up to A7) which is why I thought it was whistle and couldn't be Super Head Voice and when I've sang along with songs that have whistles in them, it sounded like them.
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 1,007Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Send 'em over.
    I just posted an audio clip, it's quite short but it's only of my whistle. Btw I didn't hit A7 in the clip, it's just my highest in the whistle register, but the note in the audio is a G#6 😁