Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Up Where We Belong - Lana & Diego

doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,145Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
They are young, they are hot and they like challenges. Therefore I suggested @coffeecrank and @Diego to do a collaboration together. I chose a very tough one for them but they did a fantastic job. What do you think about our rising stars?

@Wigs @Sophia @DogMeat @cwcw @samw2019 @d1g2w3 @Rick_amateur @samw2019 @Goldtaff @Mysti @sagemacg @blondiewales @Raphael_Hussl @bentk @Gaston_Jauregui @HuduVudu @AaronChristie @AaralynShiri @Hollywood @Wildmanofthewoods Anyone else?

Doc

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,145Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
  • GuyChanGuyChan Posts: 342.0 PRO
    @coffeecrank I love your voice, your vibrato

@Diego I really like your tone.

You both did a really good job, it was beautiful. You have a great control of your voices !
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 1,007Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    Bumping this up lol
  • coffeecrankcoffeecrank Posts: 2502.0 PRO
    Oops, must have been me lol.
  • GoldtaffGoldtaff Posts: 87Pro
    I really enjoyed that collaboration fair play sounded really good had my airs on my arms stand up.
  • DogMeatDogMeat Posts: 2482.0 PRO
    edited October 21
    You guys are so good. Gives a lot of motivation to keep practicing. Good work on mix Marco.
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 4002.0 PRO
    Great job, you two! Very pro sounding! :+1: :+1:

@Diego nice chest voice on this one. One of your better performances for me.
  • VocalityVocality Posts: 8782.0 PRO
    edited October 21
    Goosebumps @coffeecrank @diego beautiful performance there great job fantastic duet/collab, Lana this is your sweet spot tessitura bright open throat tone and Diego you sound so different in this song from previous demos and you have developed the lower end of your voice really well.

Amazing stuff to both of you and think it's safe to say were all improving as the weeks and months go on.

George :)

• bonvie56bonvie56 Posts: 162.0 PRO
    @coffecrank, @diego, @doc_ramadani
    Super job, all of you! Plugged my pc into some powered speakers and cranked it up...sounds great!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,145Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Thanks @bonvie56,

personally it was a great pleasure for me to see these young voices blossoming. We elder guys can just lean back and enjoy their performances. :smile:

Doc

Soon we should collect some money for him to get an audio interface and a large diaphragm condenser.

Get rid of Audacity while at it :smile:
    @DogMeat Reverb in Audacity is shameful. :joy:
    @coffecrank
    Audacity isn't terrible, for what it is...simple and free. I just switched over to Cakewalk, from Audacity, which is also free (it used to be a paid-for DAW called SONAR, but is now totally free under Bandlab ~~ also free) and am just learning about it and connecting my MIDI stuff through it. It's only drawback is that I think it is a Windows only program, but the FX, reverb, compression, limiting, etc, all seem to work amazingly well. It comes with a lot of plug-ins, and there are more available (mostly free, also), but I have a steep learning curve to figure out what's already there. Fun! It all takes time, and 'they' say Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately Time tends to kill off all of his students...so I better hurry up. ;)
    @bonvie56 Oh Yeah! Actually, @blondiewales was telling me to get that exact one!
  • blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 470Pro
    Wow, Diego, buddy, Lana kicked your butt :lol:

In all seriousness, it does sound really good. @doc_ramadani did a good job at replicating the reverbs pretty closely. This might be the best thing I've heard from everyone involved. It's hard to say with Diego because he does so many recordings, haha.

A few things stuck out to me, though. When you guys harmonize, your phrasing would work better if it were a bit tighter. This is something even pros have to deal with.

@coffeecrank your tone here is the best I've heard from you yet. However, there's something that's noticeable during the choruses. Your placement is relaxed and free, but it's almost TOO much so. Play with a placement that's a little more intense. You can hear this in Jennifer's take. Yours sounds more like how you'd sing it if you were just learning this song and wanted to learn the melody. To use a cliché: you have to MEAN the words. This kind of decision is more of a musicality/artistry change than a pure vocal technique one. Can you hear what I mean?

I noticed this because I've actually run into similar things recording with Diego, since I have a very neutral tone and he has a very pointed one with emotional delivery.

---

@doc_ramadani I'm all for raising money for Diego. I could pitch in $20. The Focusrite studio bundle would be a great option for him as it comes with a decent mic, interface, and headphones. I think it's like $249.

I have an idea if Diego doesn't want to take handouts from people.

1.) We raise money and get him the gear.

2.) I help him produce a demo with his new gear.

3.) I use the demo to get him session vocal jobs on SoundBetter.

4.) After 1-2 session vocal jobs, he can pay people back if he chooses.

5.) We encourage Diego to make YouTube channel so we get his singing out there and increase his chances of getting discovered.
  • WigsWigs Posts: 843Moderator, 2.0 PRO
    I could see you both in my mind up on stage with that 👍🏼
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 4002.0 PRO
    edited October 22
    @bonvie56 Been a Cakewalk (sonar/platinum) customer for 20 years prior to its demise with Gibson and rebirth under Bandlab. Great program for PC with nice free effects, but steep learning curve for sure. Highly recommend it for those who need / want the power. You'll have loads of fun with it. :)

Personally, I've been using Reaper mostly lately, and like it better for my day-to-day work. It's just more straight-forward for simple recording, yet still lots of power when needed.

Audacity is very straight-forward and has much more accessible learning curve. That it can use VST (and other format) plug-ins and there are lots of good and good enough free ones out there, it's also a good solution.

Chris
    @cwcw,
    Thanks Chris,
    I may give Reaper a try. Still just trying this, that & the other thing because between music and ham radio...well, the technology is just geek heaven for a person like me!
    Now if I quit playing with all the toys so much and focused more on singing... :)
    ~~Dan
  • sagemacgsagemacg Posts: 2402.0 PRO
    Well done @coffeecrank @Diego and @doc_ramadani! I had no idea there'd be so much free entertainment when I joined the forums :) Just sitting back going ahhhhh :)
    @blondiewales Yeah, I know what you're talking about. :) I was thinking the same basically. I think emotion usually also comes with practice, I listened to my May recordings yesterday, and boy, they were so emotionless and flat... :D
    edited October 22
    Hi Dan, @bonvie56

even if have earned a few skills on recording and mixing I don't really like to do it. For me, it is like loosing time. But the thing is, that we have to deal with this recording things if we want to deliver our recordings in a way that the listener is used to.

To my personal taste a lot of modern productions are highly over-produced with all the vocal chops and Autotune FX stuff (an octave up, an octave down, talk box + vocoder). Since I am doing the course I am listening to the singers' techniques much more. To hear growing voices, like those of Lana and Diego, became a real pleasure for me. The same for Hampton's voice (Blondie) in Brandy.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani Agreed on over-production. I feel like I'm so used to constant over-tuning of everything that I don't even like live performances anymore when I hear them. Weird.
    edited October 22
    @doc_ramadani Personally, I love production work. I equate an audio engineer's job to a painting frame craftsman. A beautiful painting deserves a beautiful frame.

But it is very time consuming. Thankfully, there are many ways to save time nowadays. Most people are happy with generic EQ, compression, and reverb. The CLA vocal plug-in from Waves can do that. There are lots of similar products too.

Edit: I actually own that particular plug in but hardly ever use it anymore. If you want it to be demonstrated on your vocal, I can send you a sample.
    @doc_ramadani willing to chip in £20 to help Diego get better gear.

Here is a review of the bundle I was talking about that might be good for Diego. It also comes with a light version of Cubase, but obviously I want Diego to get SONAR. I think there should be no difference between DAWs other than workflow unless you're talking about the stock plug-ins, which are usually eventually replaced anyway.

The reviewer is a producer I respect called Warren Huart. He produced all the hits for The Fray and other big names.

He says you can make records with the Scarlett bundle.
    @blondiewales

I have the Scarlet solo really great bit of kit, ultra portable as well and It’s a brilliant starter kit very good sound quality. I didn’t buy the bundle already got a rode nt1a and headphones though.

Vocality :)
  • MystiMysti Posts: 3022.0 PRO
    @Diego and Lana @coffeecrank

You two sound great together! Thanks for sharing this.

@blondiewales I have a Scarlett 2i2 and it works well. Would be happy to pitch in another $20 towards the kit for Diego. If the 3rd gen price is an issue, the 2nd gen is good too and about $60 less.
    I'd pitch in for @Diego too! :)
    I'll support this cause too. Who will set this up?
    I'll set up a topic and tag everyone.

I have the 2i4 and have used the 2i2. The 2nd Gen chips are great. 3rd Gen sounds good too but I haven't used them. I'm not sure what Gen the studio bundle is.
    edited October 23
    Man, thanks a lot you guys! I deeply appreciate it.
    @doc_ramadani @DogMeat @coffeecrank @Mysti @Vocality and @blondiewales !
    Okay, so I researched a bit with Diego about what needs to be done.

The good news is we found a package that's cheaper than what I thought and has more stuff (like a mic stand). https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Recording-Universal-Microphone/dp/B01J9L7VES/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=scarlett+studio+bundle&qid=1571821421&sprefix=Scarlett+studio+&sr=8-4

The somewhat bad news is that not a lot of places will ship to Honduras.

However, I found a website, www.myus.com, that specializes in shipping from American stores to countries like Honduras.

So we're looking at $215 product cost + $73 shipping cost = $288 IF we get this product.

So we'll need to raise around $300 I'm guessing, maybe a bit because I'm assuming there are some unadvertised fees or taxes.

This sounds like a lot, but we can probably get it if everyone chips in a little bit. Diego has stated he plans to pay everyone back with money he can make from this equipment.

I'll make a GoFundMe soon (probably tomorrow) and if @doc_ramadani doesn't have any objections, I'll post it in a relevant section on the forum. Either way I'll probably start the fundraiser.

---

PS: It's a good reminder, I think, for those of us living in first-world countries to be thankful for what we have and take for granted.
    I am in with € 100,-.
    edited October 23
    If the remaining 5 that’s already agreed to chip in that would be 40 dollars each. Sure we should get a few extra participants.

• samw2019samw2019 Posts: 2852.0 PRO
    That was great well done! The harmonies were spot on and very strong vocals, not a note out. Also the recording bundle campaign is nice of the people here. Peace out
    Hi Hampton, @blondiewales

I'll make a GoFundMe soon (probably tomorrow) and if @doc_ramadani doesn't have any objections, I'll post it in a relevant section on the forum. Either way I'll probably start the fundraiser.

Sure, let's start the thing.

Doc