The amateur Song Covers

Hey everyone! I decided start a different thread where I do cover for English songs. Now, I know people wonder how I can find the time. I find that, if I can remove the time I spent on sites like social media and YouTube, it's pretty crazy how much more time I have in a week. That week will hopefully be enough for me to do covers of songs I enjoy. Note that none of these covers are perfect by any means, especially when I still have a lot to work on as a singer. I post these songs, hopefully weekly, as a way to test out things I've learned in addition to the assignments I do on this site. Now, without further ado...

My first cover is Someone I Used to Know by Zac Brown Band. This song is about how, even if we hit rock bottom due to things like depression addictions, we don't have to go through it alone. Let's just say I have been dealing with what I see as my rock bottom in life and music is my main way of coping with those problems while getting through them. I hope this cover can give hope to those also struggling and tell them that they aren't alone in their struggles. I want to say that even the worst storms will end with a rainbow taking its place. I hope I won't have to stay with this theme for other covers. I will post whatever happens to match my mood best and this happened to make this spot.

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 Posts: 2852.0 PRO
    Hello, Rick , nice one for uploading your cover that was pretty cool man good job. All the best with your music in future, you're right that creative arts are good for everything I think that too. Sounds like you've got a good heart there to put into your music and that takes guts. Peace!
  • Rick_amateurRick_amateur Posts: 2962.0 PRO
    Hi @samw2019 , thanks for listening! I just sing because it brings comfort to my life. As I get steadily and slowly better, it also gives me a sense of accomplishment when I noticed my improvements. I think everyone here put their heart and guts into their singing but we are all just struggling with the technical aspect.
    My second cover is The Nights by Avicii. I actually learned this song recently due to the message it holds. What I hope is I'll live my life by is the following lines in the song: one day you'll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember. Maybe not everyone likes Avicii's songs but he certainly left a big impact on the music impact. In a way, he was singing about his own life. I, like so many others, want to do something with our lives and this song does a good job putting our hopes and dreams into words. Hope you enjoy my cover. Still not perfect but I'll get there one day.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,520Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi Rick, you're getting much better on your timing - very good. Doc
    My third cover is Even If It Breaks Your Heart by Eli Young Band. This song speaks of us pursuing a dream even if it breaks our heart due to the yeses and nos we encounter along the way. It really touches a person like me who's pursuing a dream that won't be easy to accomplish and the disappointments and setbacks make the experience difficult to justify at times. However, I do believe that certain dreams are worth living and you just have to keep going regardless how much you suffer during the journey itself.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 3,520Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Good timing, but you still have to work on reducing the air. Keep on, Rick.
    My fourth cover is Take the World by Storm by Lukas Graham. I enjoy everything about the song and could sing most of it except for some of the higher notes. I sometimes enjoy slightly harder songs to help me gauge what I can do compared to what I can before joining here. Still have much to improve but the small progresses can feel amazing.

Wow, Rick, you chose a very tough one. Serious range. But you did good on it. Kudos, mate. Doc
    My fifth cover is Dream On by Aerosmith. I don't know what got into me but I wanted a challenge and decided to do this song. It was fun but I hope to do a better job next time I try this again.

My sixth cover is Home by Michael Buble. I really enjoy this song as it's one of my favorite buble songs. There's just something about it that I can relate to.

Last week, I was busy making a video for my 1 year anniversary with KTVA. Therefore, I took a break.

My seventh cover is Let Her Go by Passenger. The song speaks of us not appreciating things until they're gone and that touches me in many ways.

For my eighth cover, I decided to go for Skin by Rag'n'Bone Man. It's not an easy song for me but this is usually how I improve by pushing my limits bit by bit. Hope you enjoy and happy new years all!

For my ninth cover, I'm for Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz. It's a fun little song that I like to sing from time to time. Not sure how many people have heard about them.

You gained a serious range, Rick.
    @doc_ramadani Thanks! Glad all that practice is paying off. Still need to sound better at those high notes though.
    For my tenth cover, I went with Raging Fire by Phillip Phillips. I just like the song a lot and decided to make a cover for it. Don't think I need a better reason than that.

For my eleventh cover, I went for Don't Give Up on Me by Andy Grammer. Just a really good song and I especially like his version where he had choirs backing him. No choir here but maybe one day...one can hope, right?

For my twelfth cover, I went for Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Elton John. Just a really good song and one of my two favorite Disney movie songs. I don't know when I'll do the other one as it requires a lot out of me. Maybe one day...

Hi Rick, Mr. Bulldozer,

you chose a very hard song. But yes, it is really beautiful.

You managed the air pretty good. Overall your resonance got much better and you don't use so much air anymore. I also can hear that you are supporting very good. I think you now own a lot of the cornerstones. Now it is time to address the next steps:

PITCH - watch your pitch. You go flat very often, especially on the sustained higher notes. Add more support on these notes. Also check your vowels. I am not a native speaker but some of the vowels (i.e. surrendEr) sound a little bit strange to my ear.

My 2 cents,
    Doc
    Hi @doc_ramadani ,

Thanks for the feedback! I guess that, with my focus on breath control, resonance and support, I kinda neglected my pitch. I will need to revisit volume 1 to get that back on track. again. As for vowels, it will be awhile before I know how to sing those properly. I might have been trying to hard to imitate the style and pronunciation suffered.

Thanks,
    Rick