Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

The amateur Song Covers

Hey everyone! I decided start a different thread where I do cover for English songs. Now, I know people wonder how I can find the time. I find that, if I can remove the time I spent on sites like social media and YouTube, it's pretty crazy how much more time I have in a week. That week will hopefully be enough for me to do covers of songs I enjoy. Note that none of these covers are perfect by any means, especially when I still have a lot to work on as a singer. I post these songs, hopefully weekly, as a way to test out things I've learned in addition to the assignments I do on this site. Now, without further ado...

My first cover is Someone I Used to Know by Zac Brown Band. This song is about how, even if we hit rock bottom due to things like depression addictions, we don't have to go through it alone. Let's just say I have been dealing with what I see as my rock bottom in life and music is my main way of coping with those problems while getting through them. I hope this cover can give hope to those also struggling and tell them that they aren't alone in their struggles. I want to say that even the worst storms will end with a rainbow taking its place. I hope I won't have to stay with this theme for other covers. I will post whatever happens to match my mood best and this happened to make this spot.

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hello, Rick , nice one for uploading your cover that was pretty cool man good job. All the best with your music in future, you're right that creative arts are good for everything I think that too. Sounds like you've got a good heart there to put into your music and that takes guts. Peace!
  • Rick_amateurRick_amateur 2.0 PRO Posts: 398
    Hi @samw2019 , thanks for listening! I just sing because it brings comfort to my life. As I get steadily and slowly better, it also gives me a sense of accomplishment when I noticed my improvements. I think everyone here put their heart and guts into their singing but we are all just struggling with the technical aspect.
    My second cover is The Nights by Avicii. I actually learned this song recently due to the message it holds. What I hope is I'll live my life by is the following lines in the song: one day you'll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember. Maybe not everyone likes Avicii's songs but he certainly left a big impact on the music impact. In a way, he was singing about his own life. I, like so many others, want to do something with our lives and this song does a good job putting our hopes and dreams into words. Hope you enjoy my cover. Still not perfect but I'll get there one day.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,839
    Hi Rick, you're getting much better on your timing - very good. Doc
    My third cover is Even If It Breaks Your Heart by Eli Young Band. This song speaks of us pursuing a dream even if it breaks our heart due to the yeses and nos we encounter along the way. It really touches a person like me who's pursuing a dream that won't be easy to accomplish and the disappointments and setbacks make the experience difficult to justify at times. However, I do believe that certain dreams are worth living and you just have to keep going regardless how much you suffer during the journey itself.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,839
    Good timing, but you still have to work on reducing the air. Keep on, Rick.
    My fourth cover is Take the World by Storm by Lukas Graham. I enjoy everything about the song and could sing most of it except for some of the higher notes. I sometimes enjoy slightly harder songs to help me gauge what I can do compared to what I can before joining here. Still have much to improve but the small progresses can feel amazing.

Wow, Rick, you chose a very tough one. Serious range. But you did good on it. Kudos, mate. Doc
    My fifth cover is Dream On by Aerosmith. I don't know what got into me but I wanted a challenge and decided to do this song. It was fun but I hope to do a better job next time I try this again.

My sixth cover is Home by Michael Buble. I really enjoy this song as it's one of my favorite buble songs. There's just something about it that I can relate to.

Last week, I was busy making a video for my 1 year anniversary with KTVA. Therefore, I took a break.

My seventh cover is Let Her Go by Passenger. The song speaks of us not appreciating things until they're gone and that touches me in many ways.

For my eighth cover, I decided to go for Skin by Rag'n'Bone Man. It's not an easy song for me but this is usually how I improve by pushing my limits bit by bit. Hope you enjoy and happy new years all!

For my ninth cover, I'm for Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz. It's a fun little song that I like to sing from time to time. Not sure how many people have heard about them.

You gained a serious range, Rick.
    @doc_ramadani Thanks! Glad all that practice is paying off. Still need to sound better at those high notes though.
    For my tenth cover, I went with Raging Fire by Phillip Phillips. I just like the song a lot and decided to make a cover for it. Don't think I need a better reason than that.

For my eleventh cover, I went for Don't Give Up on Me by Andy Grammer. Just a really good song and I especially like his version where he had choirs backing him. No choir here but maybe one day...one can hope, right?

For my twelfth cover, I went for Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Elton John. Just a really good song and one of my two favorite Disney movie songs. I don't know when I'll do the other one as it requires a lot out of me. Maybe one day...

Hi Rick, Mr. Bulldozer,

you chose a very hard song. But yes, it is really beautiful.

You managed the air pretty good. Overall your resonance got much better and you don't use so much air anymore. I also can hear that you are supporting very good. I think you now own a lot of the cornerstones. Now it is time to address the next steps:

PITCH - watch your pitch. You go flat very often, especially on the sustained higher notes. Add more support on these notes. Also check your vowels. I am not a native speaker but some of the vowels (i.e. surrendEr) sound a little bit strange to my ear.

My 2 cents,
    Doc
    Hi @doc_ramadani ,

Thanks for the feedback! I guess that, with my focus on breath control, resonance and support, I kinda neglected my pitch. I will need to revisit volume 1 to get that back on track. again. As for vowels, it will be awhile before I know how to sing those properly. I might have been trying to hard to imitate the style and pronunciation suffered.

Thanks,
    Rick
    edited February 2
    Well, my covers will be rather interesting since they are a revisit of the songs I've learned and/or done with the assignments in the Collaborative Demos. It has been a year since I started doing assignments and it has been a very fun journey. I will be doing a new renditions of these songs and hopefully I have improved somewhat over time.

First up is Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce which is my thirteenth cover.

Hey, Mr. Bulldozer,

Again good improvement. Nice brightness. Rick, could you please make your recordings louder in general? - They are very, very quite. You should normalize the recordings to adapt to the levels of the other recordings here.

Your timing is much better but still needs improvement.

Doc
    edited February 4
    hi @doc_ramadani ,

Thanks for the feedback! I now realize that my current setup for recordings isn't very good for controlling volumes. Maybe you can share with me what you use for recordings so I can improve the quality of my recordings. Thanks!

Rick (the bulldozer?)
    Hey Bulldozer,

good to hear. Looking forward to listen to your new and louder demos.

Make 'em loud. :smile:

Marco
    My fourteenth cover is I See Fire by Ed Sheeran.

How's my volume sound now, @doc_ramadani ? I made some adjustments but feedback is always welcomed.

@Wigs I need your honest critique on this. I know you were fairly critical of my last rendition of this song so your feedback is important this time. I can take any criticism. :smile:

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,402
    So this time I could hear a difference :smile: Your transitions between vowels was smoother as well as your ability to hold a consistent note. Lower notes are starting to get a tiny bit of resonance. There is a quality in your voice I still can't put my finger on that I think you should improve on. Sometimes I think you switch between singing correctly from the back of your throat then switch to overly nasal or a sort of blocked nose sound. An example is the word night at 1:00, the previous phrases had better quality to them then this word got closed down, it almost sounded like you put a glottal stop on the ee vowel of n-ah-ee-t.

Since we have been on the course together for so long now I sometimes focus too much on where improvements need to happen for you because we meet regularly for the assignments. Aside form the issue above your tonal quality has become a lot smoother from 6 months ago. You can hear that you have been using your voice this whole time and the training is making it very apparent. I know you like to mix it up with plenty of different song to help your learning, I would still suggest keeping a fairly easy song in your regular singing rotation and perfecting it the same way we try to do in our scales. Totally overuse the vowels at first so that it sound ridiculous then dial it back until it sounds right with the consonants.

Good singing mate!
    Thanks @Wigs for the honest feedback!

My low notes definitely need a lot more work since I don't work on them as often. I should probably change that. As for what you claim to be something odd where I sound good and then sound bad, I think it's just me struggling to achieve a certain effect. The example you mentioned was probably me trying to get fancy and throw away everything I learned. I personally think I sometimes overdo effects and suffer as a result of them. Though, I doubt I can learn if I don't do them. Guess it will be a long road before I can do them properly.

I actually don't getting critique because I need to improve. I can take criticism well if they can help me improve. Regarding vowels and consonants, I might start working on them soon. I just don't quite know where to start since I'm so focused on support, breath control and other foundation the last year or so. Maybe you can point me in the right direction so I can work on it.

Thanks for all the help! I doubt I could improve without all the feedback from everyone! :smile:
    I remember in the beginning when I started to understand how to get a good pure vowel sound through the exercises, I would put those sounds into songs. An aha moment was realising singing the word "I" with just ah and having hardly any ee. I over did it a lot where the song wouldn't sound great because I was just sticking to pure vowel sounds and not using the fringe vowels while still including the consonants. Others heard it too and recently commented how I used to sing with too much ah, until I explained it was intentional and I start learning a song by singing it with just an ah.

This worked for me. At least with beginning to understand how to keep the throat open and actually SING the words. Im starting to read lyrics in terms of the sounds we sing instead of words we say, kinda like what I put in the Delilah video.
    Hi Rick, thanks for that nice demo. Very good feedback by Wigs. The volume was better this time but the recordings could be louder even more.

Doc
    @Wigs I've been trying to use your suggestion with what you did with Delilah but it's not quite how I like to approach learning things. I guess I will have to find my own way of achieving the same thing. Is my understand correct in that I need to keep my throat open and should be pronouncing the words in a way where it doesn't ever close off?

@doc_ramadani Thanks! I'm still adjusting the volume but hopefully I'll find a sweet spot soon.
    My fifteenth cover is It's a Beautiful Day by Michael Buble.

I wouldn't say never close off, there are times when a hard consonant is used for effect or if it's the end of a phrase for example. Keeping your throat open is a corner stone for KTVA technique though, understanding how to negotiate difficult passages while singing to avoid it closing down and swapping your air flow between your nasal port and throat is the idea. The more you can keep your vocalisations coming from your throat without shutting it down, the more you are using the technique. Maybe thinking of singing like learning a new language helps, since you speak 2. The way you speak the lyric is different for how you want to sing them.

Also I'm not sure what you use to record and edit but if it has a db meter, when you look at the final mix, the bulk of the sound should be between -6 to -3 with no peaks above 0.
    My sixteenth cover is When Doves Cry by Prince.

My seventeenth cover is Moon River by Andy Williams.

edited March 9
    My eighteenth cover is Beyond the Sea by Robbie Williams.

My nineteenth cover is Can't Take My Eyes Off of You by Frankie Valli.

My twentieth cover is Colder Weather by Zac Brown Band.

My twenty first cover is The Power of Love by Frankie goes to Hollywood.

My twenty second cover is Resolution by Matt Corby.

My twenty third cover is Your Song by Elton John.

My twenty fourth cover is The Sound of Silence by Simon and Gurfunkel.

My twenty fifth cover is Make You Better by The Decemberists.

My twenty sixth cover is All of Me by John Legend.

My twenty seventh cover is Paint it Black by The Rolling Stone.

• shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 269
    Just took some time and listenend to some of your last covers.

Hey your "All of you" is beautyful... and the "Your song" is good!

But your "Power of Love" and "Beyond the sea" are the best I heard of you yet! Good job! <3
    @shining

Thanks for listening! Just working on revisiting songs and improving my techniques through them. I hope one day all of them will sound the best. xD
    My twenty eighth cover is Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You by George Benson.

My twenty ninth cover is Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman.

My thirtieth cover is Space Oddity by David Bowie.

My thirty first cover is House of the Rising Sun by The Animals.

My thirty second cover is Classic by MKTO.

My thirty third cover is I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz.

My thirty fourth cover is Riptide by Vance Joy.

My thirty fifth cover is Black Velvet by Alannah Myles.