Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Demo Area for Newbies - Feedback for those starting out

Comments

• DavidofEnglishDavidofEnglish Member Posts: 1
    Can I post a track on here or do need a video of the scales? One I have the other I don't.
  • matthewlomatthewlo Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 11
    Thank you for the feedback Bob. Yes I know it's rough but wanted to have something from where I'm beginning at. Been working on brightening the Ah scale and supporting all the way through and making progress and will post a new recording in the next couple of days in my original thread. Appreciate your time. :smile:
  • ovenwolvovenwolv Enrolled Posts: 38

Hi everyone, recorded this the other night. Feel like my support is getting better, but still not great. I've watched a few of Ken's videos on YouTube, but do not actually have the program.
  • LENNIZENLENNIZEN Member Posts: 3
    This is my bands first song. Made before I started KTVA. (Finnish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2mapmi4olU&feature=youtu.be
    @LENNIZEN - I like it. Your voice has a cool relaxed vibe to it!
  • Eddie123Eddie123 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Looking for a critique of my LAH scale, it's been a while - I hope I'm improving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CtamgYCBmM
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You could smile a little more to help brighten the sound a bit. You're open, but your upper teeth are covered more than they have to be. Similing up into your cheeks and eyes, with uncovered teeth helps to brighten the sound.

Good job of making it up to B4 in chest voice on the first scale. You're tilting your head up and back a little, and that might be better if you were looking a little more straight-level.

You can push downward on your diaphragm on those higher notes to make them easier for you to hit, and cut back the air a little.

Good job!
  • Piotr85Piotr85 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    edited March 2017
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    definitely testing the waters!

You're getting really close to some killer tone, @stratman!
    @highmtn I was in the car today practicing the brightest sound I could get without being nasal. The following was the result but it sounds nasal to me ... even though I had no perceived change in tone when pinching and releasing my nose.

I started on the EE trying to get as close to Ken's tone as I can manage but feel it sounds overdone but would like your perspective on the quality. I felt very supported doing this and had no issues with register break. I even felt I could go higher than E5.

Note that the recordings were made using my iPad in the car. Although they sound a little distorted, I feel that it wasn't a gain issue ... but rather that my voice actually sounded like this ... maybe I'm adding voice distortion without realising?

Thoughts? Others feel free to comment also :smile:

@stratman,

These don't really sound nasal to me. They do have a good buzz going on in them. Do make sure when you're doing EE that you have a pretty WIDE facial posture. EE is definitely the WIDEST vowel we make, and that is what defines EE. It's the least tall vowel, but the widest. And EE should have some, but not too much, MASK in it. I don't think you're overdoing it.

You've developed a pretty good bright tone, and it's got a lot of buzz in it. That can sound a bit annoying as a scale, but I've been listening to your song demos and fragments recently, and that training is really making your demos start to sound more and more polished.

You've probably read a lot of my posts where I've told students that if it sounds too bright, it's just about right. I think you're just about to the point to where you've honed the bright sound very well in your training and you can actually start experimenting with adding a little bit of warmth and bottom-end. We don't encourage that until someone has really, really gotten the top end right. Because that is critical to intonation and resonance. As you know some of the richest and most sought-after formants are in the area around 2.2khz, and that's the bright tone Ken talks about.

One of the principles of Bel Canto is Chiaroscuro, meaning literally bright/dark. There is beauty in creating a sound that has both components in it, like a really good hi-fi stereo system that gets great highs and beautiful bass.

With your history of being a bass vocalist, you can probably access those qualities without much trouble. You just don't want to pick up too much baggage in the process. Just a touch will help to get a fuller tone from your voice without sacrificing any of that hard-earned brilliance you have developed. It's much harder to get a good bright tone developed and sustained than it is to darken it.

So, without losing any of the brightness you have, experiment a bit with just a touch of perhaps making sure your larynx is centered and not raised, singing a little further back in the open throat... Watch out. I'm talking ever-so-slightly... I don't want you to lose the bright, just add a little bit of low fundamental. You'll have to shed that, too, as you go up, but just a thin slice of it can go up high with you, if it's thin enough...

You've got a good thing going on here. Sometimes you just need to leave it alone and keep letting it maturate when it's just really close.

Hang in there. You're on a really good track.

Bob

@highmtn thanks. This is quite new territory for me ie very different to how I used to sound. Good thing get feedback ... good or bad ... to ensure I stay on the right track. Thanks so much for all the unbiased feedback you give. It's so worthwhile :smile:
    No prob. Happy to be a sounding board for you.
    Still not quite accurate on pitch but hoping that this example has enough brightness?

It sounds pretty decent. It's mellow. I'd like to hear a little more edge, but not much, while still hanging on to the nice deep sound you have as well, realizing you must shed to go up. You're very close to an ideal timbre. Needs a little more bright edge down low.

Does that make sense? The brightness you have sounds really good. Just a little sharper edge. I'm being picky, but you asked.

:^)
    @highmtn thanks. I want to do the best I can so all feedback,no matter how "picky" is welcome :)
  • TinaErTinaEr Pro Posts: 21
    Not sure if this is the right place but I'd like to share my first try at covering the song "wuthering heights" by Kate Bush. It's a pretty hard song but I'm pretty proud at how it turned out. I'd love to know what you think. Thanks :blush:

if the embedding doesn't work here's the link:

https://www.smule.com/recording/kate-bush-wuthering-heights/115090423_1033575102/ensembles

it' the top one - not the two recording below as those are joins :)
    @TinaEr You have really good pitch and a very pure clean sound. Loved listening to this ... hadn't heard it since I was a kid.
    edited April 2017
    I've been stretching chest for just over 2 years. I started with a highest chest note of C#4. I think I'm managing a C5 now if I do a controlled call out ... no ability to alter vowels yet at that height! I tried Sweet Child of Mine again today attempting to stay in chest right through ... surprised that I managed it (still a little pitchy but very pleased to have grown chest this much). I also tried my reference song (Wonderwall) to see how High I could sing a song in full chest ... I think I got to Bb4 but it may just have a hint of head in it? I definitely know I'm able to hit A4 in full chest now ... again, I'm very pleased ... thanks Mr Tamplin!.

I did have a link to Sweet child of mine here but soundcloud removed my file due to copyright.

@stratman Thank you very much <3 I'm really happy you like it. I posted this on my private FB which is something I don't normally do and some people actually thought I was doing playback. Can't love this course enough!
    @Piotr85 I really, really enjoyed listening to "my way" - what a pleasant voice to listen to! Very good indeed B)
  • ChristiaanChristiaan Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    edited May 2017
    @TinaEr

Oh, wow. Wuthering Heights? I just HAD to listen to that… it’s one of my all time favourites! And what a great job you do on it! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it! *thumbs up*

I especially liked the way you gave the song your own personal touch. I like to sing along with Kate in head voice (baritone myself) and it’s a very difficult but beautiful melody. Thanks for sharing your rendition!

:)

So… as a newbie here, I just found out I posted a few links to songs I did (a while ago) before starting KTVA this past weekend — in the "For The Bold" thread. Oops! I think they might be better at home in this thread… Hm.
    @highmtn, can I post my links out here *as well* or should I delete them from up there?

=D
    @Christiaan, Please post in one place or the other, but not both. Duplicate posts are to be avoided. If you want to post here, then please delete from the other place.
  • ChristiaanChristiaan Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
  • NezarithNezarith Member Posts: 7
    Hi ! I've recorded this yesterday, have worked on blending chest and head but it seems there's a lack of chest sound, it's hard to balance from chest to head :worried:

@Nezarith
    That sounds pretty good. The key to being able to utilize a chestier sound higher in mix is to stretch your chest range substantially. You have to have chest notes ranging up to the note you want to mix, or you will have no chest to speak of in that range to blend-in.
  • pytercadlepytercadle Pro Posts: 5
    Hi Guys

First time posting for me. I have had the course for about 3 yrs but have never really worked with it due to a lot of self doubt as i started out as a guitarist. The main reason for wanting to be able to sing is to get some of my own material out there without having to worry about 'band-members'

I am posting one of my own songs as it is all i have available currently. Eventually i want to be able to sing on pitch more consistently with better control and support. Also, i would love to understand the elusive concept of vocal distortion as it seems very near to impossible at this stage.

Thanks for listening

Cool song, @pytercadle! I enjoyed listening to it. Lots of stuff going on.

Dig in to your course and get some use out of it. It will really grow your voice if you set your mind to following the program!

Bob
  • KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
    edited May 2017
    Piotr85 said:

Hello, what do You think of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamqFZTRfYE

Regards! :)

Sounds good! You have a rich tone with good character, very well suited for that style, as well as the ability to sing in an American accent like Sinatra.

@TinaEr

Oh, wow. Wuthering Heights? I just HAD to listen to that… it’s one of my all time favourites! And what a great job you do on it! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it! *thumbs up*

I especially liked the way you gave the song your own personal touch. I like to sing along with Kate in head voice (baritone myself) and it’s a very difficult but beautiful melody. Thanks for sharing your rendition!

:)

----------------------------------------

Thank you so much Christiaan! - your comment really made my day :blush: I showed this to a colleague of mine who thought I sounded too much like the original and lacked some personal touch - obviously seeing as I'm still learning I was focused on just getting it to sound right :smiley:

@highmtn I'd really like your input as to where I can improve and what I'm doing well? I'd like to learn from it. And as always thank you for your time and great advice :smiley:

@pytercadle Great song! :smiley: I really enjoyed listening to it. I'd put that on my playlist actually. Might I make a suggestion? (no it's not criticism, you can take it or leave it - as I'm certainly no expert) It would be really great if the parts of the chorus would stand out a bit more and you could hear the "ups and downs" more because it becomes a bit flat in that particular part although the melody is great.
    @TinaEr,
    You're spot-on with your pitch and delivery. I'm wondering if you would be able to add some cord closure in this range? Your voice is very light and "soprano-like" in that there is a lot of air in the tone. A little more cord closure could shift your tonal quality a little more in the direction of Ann Wilson. I'm not saying I don't like the way you're doing it, but I'm wondering if you'd like to get a little bit more "bite" in your vocal tone. A bit more timbral sound? A little less "hooty"?

Your voice is beautiful as you used it in this demo, but I think I hear you asking for some advice and direction. I would say let's see what we can do to maybe put a little more contemporary edge in your classical sound... but only if that's something you want to do.

So that usually starts with cord closure and breath support. Then we adjust from there.

Bob
    > @TinaEr said:
    > @pytercadle Great song! :smiley: I really enjoyed listening to it. I'd put that on my playlist actually. Might I make a suggestion? (no it's not criticism, you can take it or leave it - as I'm certainly no expert) It would be really great if the parts of the chorus would stand out a bit more and you could hear the "ups and downs" more because it becomes a bit flat in that particular part although the melody is great.

@TinaEr

Thanks for listening and the great advice. I fully agree with you and still need to work at the chorus. Thanks again
    Hi Guys

Listen to Sweet night by Petroleum Pete - #np on #SoundCloud

An old song recorded before any vocal training. Please give me some advice and guidance on what to focus on first.

Thanks
    Pete
    It sounds pretty good as it is. With all of the music tracks and the effects on the voice, it's hard to hear exactly what is going on. I know you could open your throat more, and brighten the tone. Being that it's your original song, you can make it be whatever you want it to be, but I would start with more emphasis on opening the throat and brightening the tone. More AH to open.
  • xTbsxTbs Pro Posts: 34
    Here goes nothing :P been recording some stuff for a cd for my family, I know its far from perfect, I do need some help because I can tell that the sound is off and my harmonies are scattered/lacking. anyways I did a cover of Ohio by Bowling for Soup. and I can definitly use all the help I can get - this is one of the first i recorded and its not mixed or mastered properly by any means so please excuse the random clicking and cut outs- thats in the works of being fixed lol.

with regards to the harmonies, where am I going wrong and what could I do to improve them, they sound unenthusiastic and depressing which is not what im going for xD

https://soundcloud.com/user-272847358/ohio-cover-1/s-BTNjV
  • elcolibrielcolibri Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    Piotr85 said:

Hello, what do You think of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamqFZTRfYE

Regards! :)

I really like your singing, and I hope I can sound good too..
  • rkirsnerrkirsner Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 35
    Petroleum Pete-"Jimmy's song" is truly A refreshing surprise. I love the lyrics. Very creative. House of sand and clay and all that...

When I'm watching Or listening to a performer,I ask myself a simple question."Would I pay to see This artist in concert?" In your case, I would answer Affirmatively. Keep up the good work.
  • rkirsnerrkirsner Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 35
    Pete-"Run" is fantastic, too, imho...
  • MmkMmk Member Posts: 22
    So yeah bob. I did lip rolls for 20 mine. Got most of my head voice. After stopping lip rolls for 5 mins I lost some of my high notes and sounded a little bit breathy, this time I didn T lost entire of head voice after stopping lip rolls. I m unable to post audio demonstrations so can I get ur email if u don't mind?
  • 4jBorruel4jBorruel 2.0 PRO Posts: 422
    I am a man that started the pro bundle with weeken warrior. I practice 2 days, I noticed the key for dude seems low for me. Unless I was doing wrong.

Just curiosity if key low for me, can I try the diva to apply vowel modifications?

Please advise
    @FBBS
    Yes. You can use the divas workouts if they suit your voice better, or a combination of dudes and divas workouts.
    @xTbs I think it sounds good. The harmonies being a little off give it kind of a melancholic sound which is appropriate for a song about your girl leaving you. And gives it a bit of punkishness.

• LuffyLuffy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 34
    Hi, this is my first post on here.
    I just started the course 2 days ago and I've been practicing singing over the last few months.

I'm also new to all the singing terms like keys and pitch. And I don't know much about the terms for different voices either, as in baritone or tenor, so I wondered could I learn all that here as well.

Also how can I upload myself singing in a post like this?

Thanks,
    Luffy :smiley: .
  • LuffyLuffy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 34
    edited August 2017
    Sorry, accidentally posted my comment twice. Couldn't figure out how to delete it so I changed it to this
    You post your demo on youtube or soundcloud and then post the url for your demo here.

If you're a new KTVA student, you should do what it says here:
    http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest
  • RawDreeGoRawDreeGo Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    AWESOME!

Ok KTVA family so exited to share with all of you,

A one man choir version of Third Day's Agnus Dei
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypOQ_QNmfdM

My acoustic take on Stryper's Honestly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKrW5CQf1w

And one of my own songs...

Roca Inconmovible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18UatTMsYLI

Thanks to all and look forward on getting more involved in this community!
    Very nice work, Rodrigo! Inspiring!

Bob
    @highmtn Thanks a lot Bob!!!
  • roborobo Pro Posts: 13
    So I assume this is where the terrible singers (like me!) drop their tracks for feedback?

Tried a folky version of Up to the mountain. Struggled in a few spots but yeah. What's strange is that I've played guitar for many many years, but the moment I sing and play I forget how to do either of them!

Criticism welcomed!

@RawDreeGo absolutely awesome ... flawless. Loved all of them. You should be posting in the bold forum rather than newbie :)
    edited August 2017
    @robo you're doing ok as you're managing to avoid vocal breaks. Concentrate on better pitch and more brightness. Try to get more smooth transition from chest to head ... there's a definite difference in timbre when you change between registers.
    stratman said:

@RawDreeGo absolutely awesome ... flawless. Loved all of them. You should be posting in the bold forum rather than newbie :)

oh wow @stratman ... well I thank you very much for the comment... I know I'm not new to singing, but since I'm still new to the forum I did it.... :) thanks a lot I'm very happy to read your comment!

And I will share some song there then
  • Vixen85Vixen85 Pro Posts: 61
    Hi I'm a newbie and I just bought the Ken Tamplin course will be starting soon hopefully. Already started viewing the videos. I'really appreicate your feedback. This is my first attempt at singing :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyq8ZaNHtY
    @Rowena85 Wow, this is your first attempt? You're at a great starting point I'd say.
  • MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
    @RawDreeGo
    Well done! It all fits together very smoothly! :smile:

@robo
    Playing with the guitar and singing at the same time, well done! I don't stand a chance at doing that yet. Multitasking like that can be hard. Your singing is also good, but I hear some uneven air control when sustaining notes (not vibrato), if you see what I mean? If you want to stabilize that, it might just require some diaphragmatic breathing exercise. But overall I'm liking where this is going! Well done :smile:

@Rowena85
    Nice singing there :smiley:
    You seem immersed and comfortable in front of the camera. Keep at it :smile:
    highmtn said:

@TinaEr,
    You're spot-on with your pitch and delivery. I'm wondering if you would be able to add some cord closure in this range? Your voice is very light and "soprano-like" in that there is a lot of air in the tone. A little more cord closure could shift your tonal quality a little more in the direction of Ann Wilson. I'm not saying I don't like the way you're doing it, but I'm wondering if you'd like to get a little bit more "bite" in your vocal tone. A bit more timbral sound? A little less "hooty"?

Your voice is beautiful as you used it in this demo, but I think I hear you asking for some advice and direction. I would say let's see what we can do to maybe put a little more contemporary edge in your classical sound... but only if that's something you want to do.

So that usually starts with cord closure and breath support. Then we adjust from there.

Bob

That's exactly what I want to do Bob! When people hear me sing in the higher ranges they usually use the word "opera" or "soprano" when they refer to it. And while I really, really want to be able to sing the song "over the hills and far away" by Nightwish (opera kind of style singing but not quite) what I want most of all is to be able to sing rock and have a lot more punch to my voice. I discovered there's a head voice training part in the bundle - I think that would be a good place to start? I'm currently working on my posture a lot as I have a tendency to hunch a bit which doesn't allow me to take full advantage of my diaphragm. Currently being given the best crack in town by my chiropractor :D Any advice on improving the tone are most welcome. Thank you for taking the time Bob - it's very appreciated! and sorry for the very late reply. I've been having a job situation I had to deal with and an ill mother. Things are back to normal now though so I'm back at it :)
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    edited December 2017
    I've been ill today and can't sing so I reading a lot. Some good stuff here and enjoy all the demos, comments, examples. I hope to post but perhaps will wait a while.
  • tbryangoretbryangore 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    edited April 2018

Haven't been posting much but still practicing. Hoping to get some feedback. 6 months in KTVA, doing Vol 2 exercise for a month or two. Thanks!
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,154
    It's not bad.
    Couple pitch issues here and there.
    But I see a lot of potential in your voice. Keep doing the course and you'll have a killer voice!

-Diego
    @Diego Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll just keep practicing!
  • ThePhotographerThePhotographer Member Posts: 10
    During the first half of this thread I find that about 5 demos are no longer available. I wanted to follow, listen, and also learn from the advice given from what I heard. Maybe folks are removing their accomplishments from the Cloud. I just need to find how to enter my demo there so I can transfer it here, and I think it is by a link from the Cloud. I guess YouTube is another way. Thanks , Scott
    @ThePhotographer You can sign up for an account at soundcloud.com and then upload your tracks there. Then when you paste a link to a particular song here, it will embed the soundcloud player, making it easy for everyone here to listen and give feedback.
    Thank-You so much! Scott
  • gravitygroovegravitygroove Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2018
    Trying to do something that has long seemed impossible. As a baritone punch into the kind of crazy singing style that Chris cornell did in his youth, all the while knowing it's dangerous stuff to play around with. I've just recently gotten into being able to hit/hold certain crazy notes without hurting my voice but i feel like at those heights and ranges, it's like holding on to a writhing eel to maintain them.

Any thoughts on how close i am to the goal point based on this recording? Any pointers for managing this level of vocal stress safely enough to say, do a couple songs in a set in this style without blowing out my voice? Thanks for any replies.

-e-

-edit- Also wanted to know what notes am i hitting in this attempt? I have ZERO formal training in anything music related, it's just been a lifelong interest in singing that i have pursued sans training.

https://app.box.com/s/oz1bv2hcrvpebs4949i2kalaexjoamvm
    edited May 2018
    Thank-You for that! I've struggled in the past and remained in limbo as a baritone who wished to hit those high notes!! I did find a new life in starting up my singing carreer by this guy!! Puddles Pity Party> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ilBHkH9Io << You see, I am also 6 1/2' tall and baritone with a solid voice that tried to find his place trying to imitate everyone. I'm 55 yrs.old and I've been singing since JH school in choir. Time and time again, I tried to kick start my joy of singing........I then realized that I was doing it all wrong! BE YOURSELF! Don't try to imitate the original singer because, it's rarely a happy ending and you can damage your vocal chords doing so. ! Make the song your song your own,relax and have fun........ OH BUT WAIT!!!..........I then found Ken Tamplin and now I skip the cracks while climbing in those high notes! It's a whole nother world now and I'm having fun! You need a mentor and now I have two! One to teach me how to hone my style and one to teach me how to use my style. BTW, to all baritones who have struggled,check out that clown ( Big Mike Geier!!) I could not have done it with out Ken and Puddles and I can't thank them enough!!! I'm heading to 'The Cloud' now! Thanks, Scott V.
    edited May 2018
    @gravitygroove

Your demo sounds pretty good. You have most of the notes, but not the techniques to deliver them with more strength, consistency, and safety. You need to learn to better support your breath and to hold back the volume. Some of the notes are a little out of reach for you. The voice is a little low in the mix to be able to make out much more detail than that.

With solid technique and daily exercise on those techniques, you have the makings of a good voice.

Bob
    @highmtn Thanks for listening. I've been practicing 7-10 hours a week for a few months now, i just have to keep at it and try to dial it in. What you mentioned is exactly my problem, i have great difficulty holding the volume down and it can get away from me sometimes. I've always been a belting kinda singer so i just tend to throw my whole self at a song and it's a pretty easy way to hurt myself. I've learned that from experience.
  • JeddaDoJeddaDo 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Piotr85 wonderful! I love your accent it actually adds a lot of character to the song
  • JeddaDoJeddaDo 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    RawDreeGo lovely work - you are very enjoyable to listen to
  • SaraLoeraSaraLoera Member, Moderator, 2.0 ENROLLED, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 3
    @gravitygroove you sound great!! the highest note that I heard you hit was a D5 (the "nails" part) which is a high note to belt for a male or a female. My ears may be deceiving me but it sounds like you are using your mix voice in your high notes, I say this because I can hear a break in the first verse when you flip back into full chest voice. If this is true, then that is a GOOD thing for technique and saving your voice on a tune like this that is totally relentless. Also, remember to drop your jaw on weird words sung high like "thorns," (should be sung more like thaaahns) and this will help your pitch in funky spots like that. Last but not least, spend a little time focusing on rhythm as you were rushing a bit in the tune. But dude, you've got tone AND high notes, two things that most people wish for! Happy singing!!

@SaraLoera Thanks so much for the feedback! I feel like a fish outta water reading about music as i'm just a guy who has always loved singing and never really thought about it much. It's great to have some idea how i'm really doing and if i'm improving or not at this. I really appreciate it.
  • keen_to_learnkeen_to_learn STREAMING PRO Posts: 49
    I am very new to singing, any feedback (positive or negative) is very welcome.
    Thank you
    Listen to Amazing Grace by sponge #np on #SoundCloud
    keen_to_learn,

That's a good step to put your voice out there on the internet and see what happens. Even on a short clip like this, there are a lot of moving parts, different vowels, notes, pitches, consonants.

What you will need to work on first will be a bright tone, steady breath support, and pitch accuracy.

A good way to start on that will be to work on your LAH scales. That will narrow it down to one vowel, and how to deal with it at different pitches, and get your support and tone more consistent. The AH vowel is our home base, so let's get the AH as right as we can to begin with. Then we'll move on to other vowels.

The basic LAH scale is where we will start working on your consistency.
  • keen_to_learnkeen_to_learn STREAMING PRO Posts: 49
    highmtn

Thank you so much for your feedback.
    Yes I will get back to basics for now, Thank you :smile:
  • lea88pulea88pu Member Posts: 4
    Hello I have a question..I record myself using the app called the voice (like the tv show) beacuse i can hear myself with the backtrack...Is it possible to put here a link from it so somebody could give me some feedback or i have to use soundcloud or some other site? Thank you 😊
    We like sound cloud because you don't have to download an app or join some other site to hear the demo. If a demo requires a download, we don't go there. Too many different sites and we don't want to expose our computers to possible viruses or advertising bots that latch on and are hard to get rid of.
  • bemcalaverabemcalavera Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, I'm new here, I wish I could post an attempt to sing soon, so you can give me some advices... :)
    However, nice to be here!
  • SweetdaddySweetdaddy Member Posts: 9
    OKay so I am new to all this so excuse me if I make some mistakes..the folloing is off my album would like it critiqued so I know what program will suit me. I am presently in a classic rock band. I believe I have a 4octave range and would like to increase it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7E3jF9qJrU&amp;index=7&amp;list=FLROn3ZCjFYOaU67gb3Iw3eg
  • What's up @Sweetdaddy . You sound good. Kind of hard to determine what your needs may be.
    Do you have any recordings of a song you want to sing better that you are not able to? or do you have a specific singer you want to emulate that you have trouble with?

What is your top note, and how much are you looking to increase it?

I know you've had training, I can tell. This course will take you wherever you want to go to be honest. There are no limitations here.

Peace, Tony
    @Sweetdaddy

There is only one KTVA course. The only difference is that "The Course" is only Volumes 1, 2, and 3.
    The Course Plus Pro Packs is Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, plus the PRO PACKS.

It's clearly more efficient to get the Course plus Pro Packs, because you will take your voice to more advanced levels. It costs more total money if you buy only the Course and then later upgrade, so it's best to go ahead and get the COURSE PLUS PRO PACKS if you're serious about taking your voice as far as you can.

If you get the smaller "The Course" package, you aren't getting as much material.

But they BOTH start out the same. You will need to learn all of the KTVA basics the way Ken teaches them. This is all part of a WHOLE program. So it's best to get the WHOLE program.

Volumes 4 is advanced Head Voice and Volume 5 is Mixed Voice. The PRO PACKS include several videos of Ken giving private lessons on skype to various students. There is great info in those videos.

My recommendation is get the Course PLUS PRO PACKS.
    Thank you so much for the feedback.. I really don’t know my top note.. I have about a 4 octave range( at least that’s what I’ve been told ) I would like to increase my range to five and six active I was asked recently to join a band that does journey and that type of stuff so instead of in barest seen myself I thought I would seek help first. And I cannot get started until we finish this project in our kitchen it’s a complete remodel so of course my rehearsal space has turned into cabinet Haven 😂✌🏻😂... after watching a ton of cans videos I am in he’s the man !! Soul my goal is to get started with the next two or three weeks .. again thank you for your help this, is going to be one wild ride !!
    Also I would like to do Steve Perry’s city of lights ... it’s a good future goal .
    Just a little bit about how I was given the name “Sweetdaddy” I use to train in the mixed martial arts and when my buddy introduced me to the top dog in Detroit and I walked in the gym with my Calvin Kline shades and my GQ work out suit he immediately gave me that name !! He was a third world champion in Muay Thai kickboxing and also eight Berkeley graduate in music and could shred on the guitar like no other big-time jazz musician but passed away in 2011 !!
    So you suggest the Gold bundle? ✌🏻😀
    The Gold Bundle would be PRIMO because you would get some one-on-one time with Ken. But if you don't do that, then at LEAST get the Course PLUS PRO PACKS. It's a great buy. But if you can afford the Gold Bundle, that's an awesome deal.
  • Zeb_SchreiberZeb_Schreiber 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    edited October 2018
    been working on the course for a couple months now off and on still working mainly on vol1 started vol2 today. recorded this today, to me sounds still a little pitchy maybe need more work with vowel sounds, what do you all think?
    Here's another one I really like
    Hi, @Zeb_Schreiber !
    Work on your support a bit more, to help keep the pitch from wandering. Keeping the tone really bright is also helpful for this purpose. How about you give us a Basic LAH scale in 1. Bridging into head voice and 2. Stretching Chest voice in the New Student Progress area?
    cool will do, thanks
  • Vixen85Vixen85 Pro Posts: 61
    @ovenwolv thanks a lot. Yep just started finally doing ken tamplin vol 1 now :) sorry saw the message a year later lol .
    @Magus thanks a lot appreciated. my apologies just found out the comment now
  • ktvafanforlifektvafanforlife Member Posts: 6
    how awesome....this is what I was looking for.... I am providing the link...https://youtu.be/5WfuAPSGTmwplease critique....
    @ktvafanforlife
    That sounded pretty good. You have good pitch. Your breath gets a little weak here and there, and that may be because you haven't built a lot of diaphragmatic support. You did a good job.
    @highmtn
    thank you...I do notice that if I sing while playing the piano or guitar, it's a little harder to hit high notes than if I was doing karaoke or someone else was accompanying. I'll keep an eye on it and find a way to get better breathing while playing an instrument. I will also post another video of just singing to karaoke or maybe have my wife play piano. Thanks again!

hello again, here is another one where I wasn't accompanying and hopefully did better breathwise? Please critique: https://youtu.be/jntdoGfiUBM pardon the voice cracking in the beginning and feel free to critique performance as well. Thanks in advance!
  • LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue 2.0 PRO Posts: 265
    I'm a newbie and want to get into singing, mostly classic rock (I love all Christian, Classic country and Classic rock) should I do a recording first or should I just wait as I get going first? I am getting the mid package with the academy. I don't have much self confidence if any, hence why I'm hoping to take these not only to help better something I love but to help bring my inner confidence up even just one notch and maybe use it to help others have a happier day.

I appreciate any help and advice given and know I may not be good but I'll definitely give it my best. Thanks!

LoneWolfRogue