Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

I hate my own voice

Or, atleast strongly dislike..
My voice is very uncoperative.. Im practicing like mad but I cant seem to get a "controllable" tone..
Hardly no improvement after a moths time on the program, except maybe better support..
Basically just feels like I dont have a good singing voice and that I wont be able to get to where i want to get...

Could really use some pointers, what kind of voice do I have? any specific excercises i should focus on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVE32u5AX60 heres a clip from some time ago that i think is ok.. (raise quality for a little better volume)

Greatly appriciate all advice!

Thanks dudes and divas.. (and everyone inbetween)

--Robin

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    edited October 2013
    Everyone hates their own voice even the pros, or at least some. Thom Yorke regularly says in interviews that he refuses to hear recordings of himself, if he can avoid it.

But trust me you have an excellent voice, and I don't say that lightly. You sound like a singer-songwriter in that song, great way to sing verses lightly in general. There's not much variation in the song so it's hard to say much more about it.

It really depends on what kind of music you are into and want to be able to sing, other than Pearl Jam.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Don't listen to that little voice that tells you that you can't sing.  That's a Lie...  From the pit of Hell.

You sound good.  Don't beat yourself up.  There is a voice inside of you that wants to come out and we want to hear you!

So sing on my brother! Sing on!

Bob

• JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    What exactly don't you like about this?
    1. you don't sound like eddie vedder?
    2. you don't know who you are as a singer?

You sound amazing to my ears. But that's because I'm a singer that knows his voice, what it is and what it is not....you probably need the same time on the vine.
  • RobinsRobins Pro Posts: 33
    Thanks guys, you really inspired me to continue!! Ive had some major improvements the last week :D

I didnt know that about thom.. Hes one of me favourite singers and for him to say that was an eye opener for me..  Thank you! :)

I wouldnt like to sound like vedder, but id love to acheive the kind of power and resonance he had in his belting (ex 3:50 min into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_G01jHVEUg)

I guess I dont know myself as a singer, Im very tired of always singing singer/songwriter stuff.. 
    I went to a well known vocal coach a while back who inspired me to sing harder rock stuff (as he thiought it fits my voice).. I felt more inspired with ken though so now im here..

The main problem im having with my voice as i see it is that i dont really have a good "center" in the  voice (the Ah- pingy sound) and that gives me pitch problems when trying to sing more aggressive stuff..   Also my voice is very "not nasal" (if you know what i mean by that?:) and makes my tone kind of stuck in the mouth.. 

Ive been practicing like mad for the last year or so, with theese things and gotten only minor improvements out of it.. I think thats what holding me back ,but im not really shure... Its just relly frustrating putting alot of effort on practicing when it seems to land me back on square one over and over.

Id like to sing more audioslave/alice in chains/Janes addiction  kind of stuff, but I dont know if thats possible?

Take care man!

• JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Here's what I have to say. First, your voice takes time to get to know. Second, pitch is always a physical problem. If you're falling off because of what you say, it's likely due to chasing something more than technique. You can't back your way into good technique, you have to start there and then back your way into tone and belting.

Give yourself some time, pursue what makes you happy. As long s you can hear that your pitch is off then struggle through it because eventually you'll get over it. 

Also, what is your practical experience? Singing live is the best teacher...in your bedroom or for family or even recording isn't. I know that from personal experience. My pitch has come a long way because of the practical experience of having to sing live for big audiences week in and week out.