Home Off Topic

Where I've been

dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
edited February 2012 in Off Topic
Hi all, I wasn't sure if I was going to come back here or not but decided to.

I am so discouraged and haven't sang anything for nearly a month. Maybe I am just not cut out for this and don't have the thick skin needed.

What happened is my vocal teacher ditched me. I really don't know what happened as I never got to talk to her, only the secretary. The owner wrote an email asking me to move to another time as there was another student that wanted my spot. I thought this was pretty messed up as I have paid for a semester of lessons and they know I can't go there during the day. So I said I didn't want to give up my time and they gave it away anyway and said I could go with another teacher on another day and of course I can't because of work so that was the end.

I really don't know what to think about any of this. :(

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Dingo,

That's terrible the way they treated you.  Please don't let that discourage you from following your own path.  Get back to your exercises and songs and find the joy again.  Don't let somebody else take that from you.

Bob

• mivisonmivison Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 191
    edited February 2012
    I think you should take your money and book some lessons with ken. he can do you much good on skype.

GOOD YOU ARE BACK!
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Dingo! I missed you haha. Was wondering where you went. Didn't see anymore posts from you :(.

Crap happens in our lives and we have to learn to deal with it. Sometimes we get treated so harshly and cruelly but still, it's not the end of the world. We have to learn and convert that negative energy into positive energy! As I like to say "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade out of it. When life gives you crap, make fertilizer out of it" :D

I think you should get a refund first though. Either way! Lets look on the bright side. 

1. You get to save that amount of money from those vocal lessons.
    2. You can save that money to do something else! Maybe even lessons with Ken if you want.
    3. You now know how that teacher looked at you.

Personally, I think you're doing great despite being not able to hear well on one ear. God gave each and every one of us a unique voice that sounds like no other and we should make use of that! Just because a teacher ditched you doesn't mean you should stop singing. Though it all depends on what is more important, something you love to do and have passion for, or your pride. 

I don't mean to be rude or anything but when I was in junior high, my teacher literally FORBID me to go for the singing competition held in my school and he said I sound horrible that I don't have to waste time to go for it. I was hurt. I couldn't go for it as much as I wanted to. Though for the next following years, I never gave up. To be honest, it's one of the things that are my inspiration now. To prove to all those people that I can do it! You should too! 

Prove to that teacher that you can get even better without her help. As much as we trusted them, we still have to move on. 

I take singing as one of my main things in life. Though I'm only 18, singing is a very important part of me and I wouldn't want to lose it :) I hope you can understand what I'm getting at.

We should never give up something we want just because of how ill-treated we were. We gotta stay strong and keep moving on! Remember the motive of why you started to take singing lessons, dingo! Ken may be a bit more expensive for lessons but he's a really great coach that is patient with each and every one of us and wants us to get better and improve! 

I'm doing this to keep you on KTVA or anything. It's still your choice to keep singing or give up your passion. However, I am telling you this as a fellow friend, someone who shares something in common with you, that is, music as a passion! :D! Even though we've only chatted on the forums but still nonetheless, I treat you as a fellow friend and hope you don't give up on something you love and regret it in future! 

We're all in this together and should help each other out when in need :D! I hope you think over it and make a wise decision! If you need a listener when no one is available, feel free to send me an inbox message! I'm all ears! Or in this case.. all eyes? XD!

Cheers from Malaysia!
    Rayhan

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

An epic post from Koko, totally I agree.  Much wisdom from the 18 years of life he has learned!  There is no try, Only do.

We are here to support one another.  Singing is something that comes from inside of us, is attached to our feelings, and it can be crushing when we hear criticism or are treated badly regarding our voice or ability.

This place is a safe haven for all of us to help one another out. There is a voice inside of each of us that wants to sing out to the heavens and the earth.  When we find ourselves being stifled, by others or even by our own self-doubt, we need to take a deep breath, reflect on how to learn from the setback, and move forward from where we are now.

Find the dream.  Go for the Goal.  Keep your eyes on the prize.

Bob 

• johnzhangjohnzhang Enrolled Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    I'm no expert in singing nor life but I have been in your situation and I know how you feel. 

There is need for soul searching, and you have is to ask yourself how much you really love singing. There are going to be many obstacles on the path to great singing, and this is only one of them. 
    Is singing really your dream? 
    Are you going to give up your dream because something someone else did?

This forum is helpful, supportive, and full of encouragements. I hope you'll be able to decide for yourself want you heart truly desires. 

I quote Russell Crowe, "for anybody who's on the downside of advantage, and rely purely on courage, it's possible".
  • berracahbandberracahband Enrolled Posts: 7

I agree wholeheartedly. Keep in mind that music is part science, part art.  Some parts are logical and true, like proper breathing for example. The art part, ie. talent, is subjective. Take the observations people give you and weigh them against your own belief. Try to look at yourself as objectively as possible and consider these opinions; try new things and decide for yourself. No one is right 100% of the time. Just be open to it. There are many famous artists out there with stories similar to yours. :)  Don't give up on YOU.

Best wishes,

BB

• dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
    You are all so very wonderful! xoxoxo

I have been a bit under the weather but am going to start back again as soon as I feel better. 

I get that there is a lot of BS in the music business. I'm not sure I want to deal with it. Maybe I will change my mind. I remember when I first started out in my career all the BS I put up with and it was called paying your dues and now I'm at the top and the view is nice from up here but I don't know if I could do it again at my age! Ha!  

I do want to have a band and play at different places here. I would like to release an EP of original songs. I won't give up on that. I think those goals are doable.

I do want to finish my Whitney songs I was working on too especially since she died.

I can't wait until we get moved and have decent internet so I can skype with Ken. Like you say, I can save the money I spent on lessons here to for when I get moved.

The owner of the studio did send me an email sort of saying I could come back but I would have to go in there and have a discussion with them all. Then he said if I didn't want to that was ok too. I don't think I will go back only to get shafted x months down the road.

Glad to hear that dingo! You go girl! XD 

May the sun shine brightly once again :). I agree with you on not going back. If they were the ones who rejected you, why'd you even want to go back there. No worries! Each and every one of us have our ups and downs. 

I hope you are doing great and don't let this affect your everyday lifestyle as well ;) 

Remember, if there's a will, there's a way :)
    So another month passed and I didn't sing a lick until today.

In the parking lot at work, I decided to check my mobile and see if my audio workouts were on there and there were so the fired up the bluetooth to my car system and I did the workout all the way home! 

I went fairly lightly but it wasn't too bad. I had lost some of my connection but that is ok. I know sitting isn't ideal but I can get in 2 workouts a day to and from work.

I feel like I am done sulking now and ready to work lol.
    WHEW! WELCOME BACK DINGO! :D! Glad to see you're back on track and not giving up! :D No one should! 

If you're gonna do your exercises sitting down, you have to remember to have more support and remember on doing vowel mods since you're driving. HOWEVER! Do pay attention to the side mirrors and rear mirror and front view as well as other cars XD!!

The bird who was shot down has finally recovered and is backing up on her two feet :DD!!

Don't forget the Webinar this Saturday! If you can make it :P!
    I won't sulk as much next time. Being a Diva is a tough job but somebody has to do it. :D

One nice things about having to pay attention to driving is you aren't over thinking the singing. You just do it. It is much easier to hit those high notes.
    Hahaha that is true as well! I suppose it has its pros and cons!

And yes! The Diva in YOU is now speaking :D!

I was wondering earlier today when you were going to re-emerge, dingo.  We've missed you!

No more sulking!  That is not allowed...   If you get discouraged, come here and tell us about it.  We're here for you!

As I said in my post "The Crud", there are bugs afloat in the world that try to stifle our voices.  And sometimes these bugs try to bore into our minds and tell us it's no use...  But that's a LIE!!!

Singing is medicine that helps to heal the soul... Divas, Raise up your voices and be heard! 

Glad to hear from you again, dingo!

Bob

Hahaha! I was sick for the past week or two and couldn't do workouts at all or I choke myself. I tried the workout yesterday when I was feeling pretty good (still choked sometimes). After the workout, I finally got back the whole sensation of being able to sing again and that made me so happy hahahaha :D!

What a difference a workout can do e___e!