Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Jump (Van Halen Cover)

philmaherphilmaher Pro Posts: 48
That time again, just released new cover with my 80s tribute band Popgun.

Had to make the decision on wether to try and imitate DLR or put my own spin on it. I did do as much research as I could into his vocal techniques with people saying he does inward screams to using whistle tone and everything in between! Didn't have much luck haha, so just did my own thing.

Hint of a G5 at the beginning, pushed for effect.

Hope you enjoy the video! 

*i actually tracked the intro scream after we recorded the video so in the video i actually sang something like "yeah" but when it came to tracking I just did a "(W)ahh" so thats not the shape i used to do it,lol.

Phil
www.popgun80sband.co.uk

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

This one turned out pretty good, Phil.  I like it.

Bob

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    Sweet Phil!  I loved it.  Fun video, too!
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    Audio Production is spot on... do you do it your self?
  • philmaherphilmaher Pro Posts: 48
    Thanks @highmtn i agree! bit of an uncover able song, don't think I've heard a decent cover of it anywhere so pretty pleased with how it came out! Hoping it can make some waves!

@rcrosier thanks, yea tried to reference the original video a bit, and just had some fun!

@streeter big thanks! Yea I did all the production, time aside the only cost was tracking the drums in my local studio :) 
    edited May 2015
    @philmaher Check out steel panther's version if you want to see a spot on cover. Michael Starr is like a trained version of DLR... He even improvises like him so it sounds like a genuine van halen performance. the guy is flat out frightening. He is 52 and still going strong so he has worked out a way to get through all the screams safely and accurately. Does a lot of the stuff KTVA advocates. If ever you're struggling to work out how to sing an 80's pop metal tune safely (mods placement etc...) type in Steel Panther covers... And chances are they have done it and can reproduce it better live than the original band. Are you a LogicX user or pro tools user? If you have any time, I'd love to get in contact with you regarding mixing and mastering techniques. Mine are pedestrian compared to yours. Cheers bro.
    @streeter Ive seen SP do some live versions which are good, is there a studio version? i know they've got a studio version of don't stop believing which is really good.

Michael is yea a DLR carbon copy but better haha. Ive seen them live a 3/4 times and he is pretty flawless. He's great but for me, most of his high stuff is such a light mix sound, but thats how he can do it night after night, i prefer a lil more chest in my singers, but your completely right and he is a great singer.

I use Logic Pro 9! yea give me a message, or should we start a thread, would that be more helpful to all?
    edited May 2015
    I think we should start a thread. We could Make a list of favourite plugins, apps, what pre amps and Mics we use, tricks and tips (mic distance, panning, guitar rig 5 etc...) . I've had a couple of requests myself on what I use but like I said, your demos are commercially polished Products, mine are quick and easy 20 minute jobs. Haha. The only covers I know they've recorded in a studio are 'Don't Stop Believing', 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and 'I Want It that way'
    @streeter sounds like a plan, perhaps to get the ball rolling in the right direction i could take this cover of jump for example and walk through the tracking and mix process. Il get something typed up! Whats going to be best place for such a thread @highmtn ? Gear and equiptment/off topic?
  • rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    I for one, would appreciate this.  I don't use either of those programs listed, but could probably get some useful info from them.  I'm not good at sound quality, and my recordings always sound like I'm in a can (probably mostly due to the room I record in, which is a large room with no sound absorption).  But I'd think that some tips would help, too.

I do have Cubase, but don't use it much yet.

@rcrosier Well funny you say that, I record my vocals in a 3x4m room with no sound absorption, no sound proofing, just a condenser mic with a pop shield in front of my desk...not the most pro setup but it works!

I think the myth of a great vocal sound being inside expensive microphones and expensive preamps needs to be shattered! (they can help of course), but its just not the case anymore (and of course a great vocal is in the singer not the gear). I just think about the amount of live recordings that are done around the world in all sorts of non studio situations even with just an sm58 into whatever desk happens to be there that sound incredible, no studio chock full of vintage rack equipment in sight. 

The way I see it is -
    You can buy a gibson Les Paul for £1,500 and it sounds amazing, you can also buy a gibson les paul for £5000 and sound even better (arguably haha), but doesn't stop the £1,500 one from sounding amazing. And at the end of the day its how you play it that makes the difference.
  • iamwilliamwill Pro Posts: 5
    @philmaher Nice job! Dig that you made it your own and went with it. Fun video too. 
  • AnaamAnaam Pro Posts: 45
    Enjoyed the video! great band! :)
  • AnaamAnaam Pro Posts: 45
     I think the myth of a great vocal sound being inside expensive microphones and expensive preamps needs to be shattered! (they can help of course), but its just not the case anymore (and of course a great vocal is in the singer not the gear). I just think about the amount of live recordings that are done around the world in all sorts of non studio situations even with just an sm58 into whatever desk happens to be there that sound incredible, no studio chock full of vintage rack equipment in sight. 
    ---------------

Totally agreed! 
  • sam.ksam.k Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
    I liked this! Very polished recording and fun video too!

Your vocal performance is excellent too, great pitch and timing.

If you pushed a bit more glottal compression grit into your voice it would be perfect.

Cheers,
    Sam