Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Headvoice-demo

joacarjoacar Pro Posts: 16
Hi

I've been singing in headvoice, just for a few months.
Before that I trained chest-voice heavily and can now reach Eb4 before flipping to head.
In this quick and short demo I'm singing in headvoice C#4 - E4.

https://youtu.be/YTU3-H3eFJc
  • Is the tone ok in sound?
  • Shall it be brighter/darker?
  • To nasal or mouthy?
Any feedback and criticism is welcome!
/Thanx :-)

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    I'd highly recommend stretching chest up to at least B4 (first Lah exercise on Vol.3) before bringing your head voice right down. In my opinion, this demo doesn't sound like it is utilising the KTVA techniques outlined in the course. It sounds very narrow and squeezed, way to much air and really heavy consonants.

Post a Lah exercise and we'll try to get these issues sorted out.
  • Options
    Thanx for the input Streeter :-)
    Ok, I'll do that. Try to stretch chest-voice even more. It took me three months to go from C4 at top to Eb4. I really don't know how to avoid flipping into head at E4 though... Any tip?

I'll create and upload a Lah-demo asap.
  • Options
    Id have to hear a Lah demo, sorry man. General issues usually involve breath support, vowel mods and closing down the throat. To avoid the flip, you may need more sound pressure. Between D4- E4 is about where the speaking register ends and the call register starts so don't be afraid to use a little more volume. Just make sure it's controlled. This is where people usually freak out. Don't Freak out... Just go with it. Start training that call register! A full voice G4 is a massive goal note for a lot a dudes.

Well done for posting a demo. It's a big step.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Here's the Lah-demo. A3 - G4. Sounds not to good I know. I'm trying to stay in chest as long as possible . Adding some volume to avoid flip to early :-)

https://youtu.be/_yiUwBI3jo4
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I agree with what @blondiewales is saying.

You don't really have a command of the mods yet. Your pitch is ok and it sounds like you will have a great natural tone once you have built your voice. Still build your sound and range Via the super bright tone though (ping). This allows you to hear yourself way better ( pitch perception) and gives greater access to resonance. Once you find all those pockets where the notes sit, you are free to do whatever you wish but at the moment we are still in the building phase.

Support needs to be worked on. It sounds as if you have the belly breath part together, now you need to lean on that breath as we go up the arpeggios in order to grain control of the notes. If you are doing it right, it should mean the air is at a steady/slow even flow as you sing the notes. That will translate into a much more controlled and consistent sound.

There are so many analogies to describe the feeling of support but for me, it feels like I am leaning onto an inner beach ball (inner stomach) filled with air. And that leaning pressure mitigates the air flow.

P.S.

There is no chance you are a bass. You just never learned how to get out of your speaking register. You'll be able to sing whatever you want once you build up.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @blondiewales and @Streeter
    Thank You for your input! Highly appreciated.
    I tried again to keep bright Ah up to D4, and actually succeeded. (Instead of C4 earlier).

Further on I'll be much more consistent in using vowel Ah up to D4 , then lAUGHt from Eb4. Then hUg from F#4/G4. I will also try to get support in place as You described.

I thought I was base cause singing in range D2 - A3 is very comfortable for me. But that doesn't matter. I'm really dreaming of singing the money-notes (D4 --> ) as a walk in the park. :-)

I will now practice this ~1 zillion times ;-). After that I post another demo.

Thanx again :-)