Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

critiques wanted

https://soundcloud.com/jeffoh2015/hossana

ive been gone awhile but i started to make my singing brighter as instructed. this is just a simple song i think. what can i do to improve. id like to have the same tone only more girthy.

any critiques i accept all :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @whoisj15!

I think you could still brighten it up a little more. It's certainly not too bright now, so don't worry about that if you are thinking maybe it's too bright. It's not.

Your voice sounds just a little husky, and that, in part, keeps it from having the bright ping we're looking for. Good cord closure and a sound like Ken's "It's the LAH!!! AHH!!!" is the goal.

A little more support would be good, too. The chorus was a little under-pitched.

Not bad. Keep up the good work.

Bob
  • whoisj15whoisj15 Pro Posts: 139
    thanks bob. what would be the next step? glottal compression?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. Especially the support and holding-back-the-breath part of glottal compression. Your breath kind of surges as you sing. Getting a bit of compression to even out your breath to a more consistent level is going to help your sound a lot.

Bob
  • whoisj15whoisj15 Pro Posts: 139
    thanks bob, actually for glottal compression, what is the level of volume to start off. i heard it said to connect the chest with head voice it needs to be thin. does that apply to start for glottal compression?
    On the longer notes at the end, try to cut back/hold back the air more.