Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Vocal Range

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
Hello, I am Diego, and I wanted to ask you guys a question,
How can I increase my vocal range, I know this is in one of Ken's videos already but I really want to know how you guys did it. (My range is somewhere in between F2-E4.) And I also want to know how to change my Chest voice to my Head voice easily, like it's nothing xD.
By the way, when will Ken be live again? You know.... Webinar..
I also want to practice some rasp, but am not really clear on how to do it without damaging my throat.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, Diego. You are right. Don't try to practice rasp or distortion until you have had good and thorough training on how to do so safely.

Increasing the vocal range is done in large part by the process of "Stretching Chest Voice." When your chest voice is taken to higher notes, your voice becomes much more flexible in your choices as to how you can use it.

This can take considerable time and effort, but the results are well-worth the effort. Essentially, you practice singing scales that take you to the limits of your present range and stretch you a little each time. While you are doing this, you need to use all of the basic building blocks of the voice that Ken teaches. You can't really just "add range" without learning all about how to properly use your voice. The voice has to be treated as a "whole" system that is comprised of and manipulated by a whole range of techniques and right or wrong methods. But the "add range" part is essentially done through consistent practice while maintaining all of the other aspects of proper singing.

I don't think there is a date set just yet on the next webinar, but I'm pretty sure it won't be very long. Stay tuned. There will probably be an announcement in the near future.

Bob
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Thank you Bob,
    I am 14 years old, so I have a lot of time to develop this instrument, I might post a video about my voice one day, but not anytime soon. xD. I am Honduran so it is very expensive to get the program unfortunately.

Thank you for the advice, I will be working on these scales, and I will put effort into these to see good results. What is the highest note a tenor can achieve? I am basically trying to use Ken's free videos for now, so I can practice the LAH. Scales. And trying to brighten up the tone a little bit with the ''IT'S THE LAH!'' Excercise. xD. It's a dream of mine to reach those high notes/ scream. They sound awfully hard and cool.

Ok, I will be ready for any live webinar :smile: .

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Tenors will tend to top out after C5 in general with their chest voice, but some KTVA tenors can eventually make it up to G5 or higher.
    Wow. Like you? I remember you said you could do a A5 in Chest or D5 don't remember correctly.
    When did you start singing or at least practicing.
    I start mixing after about C5. Pure chest doesn't sound or feel that pretty above there for me, but the difference is very difficult for a listener to discern at those pitches. I started KTVA in 2011, after trying all of those other programs that didn't work. It takes a long time to build your voice if you're an average person with an average voice starting out, like me. It took me a long time to relax enough to get past G4, but once I got that sorted out, things started falling into place for the notes above that.

I can also mix below C5, but above C5 it's more comfortable to blend, and easier on the ears than chest only.
    What is Ken's range? He might have already said it though. I have heard this age is good to start practicing my singing :D I hope one day I can become a monster vocalist like y'all in KTVA. Rock and Metal are my type of songs so I have come to the right place. I will start saving up for this program.
    Ken's range is E1 to C6.
    That is really impressive!! What are your favorite music genres?
    Sorry for all the questions :tongue: . XD.
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    edited September 2016
    My primo passaggio starts at about Eb4
    I start mixing at about Ab4 :(
    My goal is to be able to bring pure call register up to C#5, man, how awesome would that be.
    Me too man.
    Me too....
    I want to be a KTVA pro one day xD. And a monster of a singer.
    That is the goal.
    What is the highest note Baritones reach in chest? KTVA baritones?
    There is no such thing as the highest note man, everybody's voice is different.But I guess most men can pull pure chest (call register) up to C#5, however, after that point, they'll have to start bringing head voice down into the mix, even if it's still a chest dominant mix. True tenors on the other hand will be able to go a little further. But to be able to achieve that, an immense amount of work (perfect practice, as Ken says) has to be put in over a relatively long period of time.
    Just to know. I was wrong about being a tenor, I was a baritone. If I have this ''Perfect Practice'' Ken says, is it possible, just possible that my chest voice can produce higher notes than C#5? Just want to know. I think you can't really master the voice because there is something you learn everyday about singing that makes your voice even stronger than it was before (If you practice).
    edited September 2016
    Yes, it is possible. But it's not about that. It's kind of hard to explain, but consider this: when I talk about a baritone mixing head voice with chest, I'm not talking about that airy falsetto sound. I'm talking about timbral head voice. It is FULL VOICE (a fully connected sound). A listener won't be able tell the difference between that and a high chest voice. Let me give you an example: Watch the video in which Ken Tamplin sings Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. At 4:09 you hear him singing a line in chest voice (C#5), and in the line that comes right after that, which goes a little bit higher, you can hear more of a mixed voice. It is NOT distinguishable by an audience, because it is a natural place for the mix to happen, so it sounds great. That is just my opinion, I may be wrong on this one. :D
    And plus, if your chest voice goes up to C#5, you can literally sing 99% of all songs known to the human race.
    I am especially interested in power metal singing. I suppose they use mixed voice right? I have heard it is a complex type of voice. I'll work for that C#5 on my chest voice. It is easier said than done, but it does not hurt to try hard.
    No matter what style of singing you're interested in, you'll have to learn and apply the fundamentals, which are "non-negotiable", as Ken says. When you develop your voice, you'll be able to sing in many different styles, including power metal. You can always go from a big voice and sing lighter, but you can never sing with power if you have an underdeveloped voice.
    Thank you sir.
    you're welcome