Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to hit this note/technique Ken is hitting and what is it called?

Hi there, I asked this same question on Ken's Youtube and he suggested to join his forum which I didn't know about, so here I am, wanting to get better at singing. What is this technique/note called that Ken hits in his video at 5mins and 18secs. It's like a "grunt"? And how can I achieve this?

Here is the link to his video that I mentioned above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-bHLgWk8M

Hope you can help, would mean a lot! I want to hit this note so I can learn Michael Jackson songs, R.Kelly songs and to make my sound, sound better. Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance

Fes

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Fes

@5:18 where hes singing "Hey bay-buh, bay-buh" he's cutting back the air and using distortion.

This is something that you don't just say "here, do this" because you can hurt your voice unless you do it "just so".

Ken doesn't even teach it in his course until Volume 3, so most students aren't shown this technique until they have been practicing a number of techniques to prepare their voices to safely make these sounds. You don't have the tools you need to do this until you've trained for a while on proper singing.

Funny thing, the sound he's making at 5:18 isn't a Michael Jackson sound, it's where Ken is saying that he prefers to make a big, distorted sound. Ken tells you there that you have to shed that big sound in order to sing something like Michael Jackson.

This is more of a David Coverdale sound than a Michael Jackson sound.

To get detailed help or instruction on Distortion you have to be a student and go through the course. After about 12 weeks in the course, if you've been doing all of the exercises and following instructions, then you are ready to safely use the techniques you have learned to distort without hurting your voice. Some students take a little longer to get there. It's not something you can rush into and protect your voice.

All the Best!

Bob
  • FesFes Member Posts: 2
    Hi @highmtn

Thanks for replying back, appreciate it! Ah, I see. Where can I get the 2 Volumes from then? I want to get started straight away please.

Also, is there a way I can receive notification when someone replies to my threads straight to my email, so I am notified on my phone?

Kind Regards

Fes
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited December 2016
    @Fes,

You get 3 volumes in a package/bundle. The 3 Volumes aren't sold separately. You might get a "confirmation email" from this forum. If so, be sure to reply. That may set you up like you requested.

I suggest you get the PRO Bundle. There are additional lessons in the PRO Forums that have explanations and demonstrations of distortion.

https://KenTamplinVocalAcademy.com/

Don't rush through this stuff. If you learn it and practice correctly, you will build a voice that will last you a lifetime. The last thing you want to do is take a shortcut to distortion and do it incorrectly. Learn to sing properly, and distortion can be one of your tools and colors for your voice.

All the Best!

Bob