Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Corey Taylor for kens YouTube

Bruce_Bruce_ Pro Posts: 28
edited November 2016 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Hi @Ken Tamplin I would be interested to see your take on Corey Taylor's vocals and songs from slipknot or stone sour. It would be cool to see you do the heavy stuff as well as his lighter songs. (Devil in I, killpop, psychosocial etc.)

Comments

• Feels like he is killing himself when he screams. I dont know about his technique, it doesn't sound like it is coming from his gut. It's pretty amazing that he can sing clean after that, he does it in his live videos. Pretty cool actually.
  • TJMoore116TJMoore116 Member Posts: 9
    he uses a clean tone with a lot of heat. screams are usually all false chord if you do it right but that's a technique that really didn't emerge or become popular for the most part until the 80s and he was in a different niche for rock
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    edited March 2017
    I have a lot of respect for Corey Taylor, but I do think his screams are going to leave him sounding like Phil Anselmo does now. His clean voice is excellent, but you can hear the damage that's been done already. No matter how good the technique, overdriving your voice constantly like that isn't healthy and he really, really goes for it on the screams.

I also think it's worth noting that Ken specifically says that he's not the guy to come to if you're looking to learn to scream like that. It seems a bit unfair to ask the guy to cover a style he doesn't teach and is highly likely to lead to damage in the long-term.

I used to sing stuff like that when I was about 18 or 19 but I soon learned that there's a trade off between singing that way and actually developing your range, so I speak from experience rather than as a killjoy who doesn't get the appeal in that style. I was still using screams and crazy Mike Patton vocal stuff until I stopped singing a few years ago, so I can totally appreciate extreme vocal styles, however I don't think it's appropriate for people learning from Ken and the forum.

Edited to add: This was a kinda joke track I did years ago with some really screamy, crude vocals just so you know I'm not just being a boring old fart about the screaming...hahaha! (P.S. Don't read the lyrics if you're easily offended, they're very childish and explicit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QgOh17kErU