Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Looking for Feedback please - Garth Brooks Learning to Live Again

Well I thought it was time I actually sang some songs and figure out what I need to do to improve. I have been mostly singing along with artists and avoiding singing solo without accompaniment for a long time. It seems like whenever I sing solo it's terrible in comparison. Here is a Garth Brooks song I sang recently. Makes sense that if I want to sing better I will have to listen to what I sound like and work on it. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Give it to me straight, I can take it. :) Thanks

https://www.smule.com/p/68303811_1397862148

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Pretty good. You need to brighten your voice somewhat. You're just a shade flat at times. Brightening the sound will help you to pop out of the mix a little better and also will help you to discern pitch a little more acutely. A little more breath support will help, especially on the high note. Your pitch is close. But just a little on the low side.
  • naesmnaesm Pro Posts: 13
    edited June 2017
    OK sounds good thank you. Can you listen to this one and see if you think I am moving in the right direction? I feel like I always tend to be a little flat especially up high. It's a bad habit as I don't really like my voice up high so will work on that.

https://www.smule.com/p/68303811_1400161652
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    This time the first verse was a bit sharp. Then the high notes on the chorus was flat. The voice sounds kind of muffled compared to the music. I'm wanting the voice to be a lot brighter, which, as I said before, can help you to hear pitch more accurately.

You may want to look into some pitch software to help you to see visually when you are sharp or flat, so you can better learn to recognize it on the fly, and so that you can learn to try to correct it on the fly, as well.

There are a number of free downloads or trial downloads on pitch software that can help you to train your ear and your voice to get you more in-tune.

Sing and See is a program that will let you download a free 30 day trial. It has a virtual piano, so you can click on various notes and try to match them with your voice. It has a real-time display that you can watch as you tune your voice up or down to try to match the pitch. That can help you to learn to become more accurate with your pitch. It takes practice.

There are other programs out there that can help, and many are free.