Home Off Topic

Is coffee bad for us as singers?

XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
Sometimes after I finish a cup of coffee, my throat starts producing phlegm and makes it harder for me to sing. Is it better to avoid coffee as a singer?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. Coffee is a diuretic, which means the more you drink, the dryer your body becomes. You want to remain hydrated.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    For me it doesn't seem to matter much if i have 1 cup of coffee if you remain hydrated. But don't drink several cups throughout a performance or workout. I actually rarely drink coffee during workouts, and never when rehearsing.

I think some warm things like tea are very nice. What do you think about tea and warmer beverages @highmtn ?

What i do avoid are sugary drinks. I think it is better to just eat well and healthy, rest for 30 minutes at least and then get into your workouts.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I try to limit myself to no more than one pot of coffee per day.
    Coffee, like any other diuretic isn't good for your singing... But I drink it and still manage to squawk through a lot of gigs.

I ran across this article today for anyone feeling guilty about drinking coffee, or feeling superior over those who do: http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/health/coffee-leads-to-longer-life-studies-reaffirm/index.html