Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can't seem to hit this note, voice is way off

Hey guys, as an avid DCFC fan, I decided to finally learn to sing Follow you into the dark. But on the third verse, I can't tell if Ben goes into head, falsetto or what. I always run out of breath, or cant seem to match when he sings "rooms". I know it's an OOH vowel but I just cant seem to get it. Often times, my voice almost gives this vibrating sound, or just sounds plain trashy. I dont have a problem with the rest of the song, just this one note. Help ?

Comments

• TalkingBirdTalkingBird Member Posts: 5
    I also get this pain in my chest after trying to sustain that particular note and feel out of breath, should have added that in.
  • ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    He sings an extremely soft head voice/falsetto note. It's so soft that if you slide it down to chest it's barely a mumble. The only way to get that sound is to have good coordination and be totally relaxed while singing it. The chest-pain is a big warning sign and probably means that you are straining and/or trying to "push" the note out in some fashion, which is the opposite of where especially head voice comes from.

My best advice would be to start experimenting with your voice at very low volumes to find that relaxed head voice and build from there. Meanwhile still working your chest voice of course.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

TalkingBird,

Sounds like it's an F4 sung in head voice.

Some folks need to shift to head around E4, and if you try to sing it in chest you could just be forcing the note.  You may just be splatting on that note when you need to release into head.  Falsetto would involve too much air, and that's not what I hear on the original recording.

If you like, post a link of you doing that line and we can do more than guess.  :^)

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Talking Bird

Ragnar is totally right on this.  He does sing that note in a very light heady tone.   It should be very free and easy to do.  don't worry about putting a lot of volume into it keep it soft.  If you think of when you blow across the top of a bottle that hooty tone that is produced.  Its almost the same feeling.  If you push to hard, it will break and sound a little trashy.  Just think soft and light, not airy or breathy, keep the tone crystal clear..  If you listen to a live version, you will notice that when Ben does it, the note almost disappears.  
  • TalkingBirdTalkingBird Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the pointers, im trying to approach it directly from head, but my head voice is still weak and airy. Ill see if I can post something later. It doesnt sound good, but at least I dont feel chest pain anymore. 
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    it is a fairly low note for head voice, that could be giving you trouble.  Remember soft and quiet, but not airy or breathy.  Almost like a hooting owl, for lack of a better reference.