Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
Options

Developing my own sound!!

Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
Last year I started out with a Shure SM58, then when that felt too muddy, I moved on to to a Sennheiser e835, which was an immediately recognized improvement.

I recently got a Helicon VoiceLive Play for vocal processing, and omg, what an amazing unit!!! (I posted a review Ken did of it, be sure to check it out!)

Lately I have been hearing so much great stuff about the Sennheiser e945, so much so that I couldn't pass up a 20% Black Friday discount on it.
I'll be testing it out at rehearsal this Tuesday night...

After-action report forthcoming...

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You'll like it. It's a big step up in the presence and highs from the e835! Very clear.
  • Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2018
    The Sennheiser e945 was indeed a step up from the e835... and night and day apart from a Shure SM58!
    It was capable of accepting allot more volume without feeding back, and rejected everything to the sides. It didn't have the weird proximity boom at all, as I tend to like to get all up in my mic's grill :wink:
    The presence/definition was far more pronounced, I noticed this while I was playing in the form of hearing more of my nuances and being able to track pitch even better.

An unexpected side-effect was that I felt more comfortable to cut back the air more than normal (Old normal was on the verge of over-singing due to monitor levels)... but because I was able to hear myself so much better, I was becoming more confident to cut back the air even more. I think the challenge is to remember fully to engage it during a clean song like "Learnin to Fly" by the Foo Fighters.

I have become a firm believer that your microphone is every bit as much an instrument as your guitar/drums/bass/keyboards. You have to learn the dynamics of each, so why would I think a microphone be any different?? After one rehearsal, I started feeling allot more comfortable with the Sennheiser e945, I just have to incorporate what I learned from using it. This is where recording your rehearsals/performances is essential!

Obviously the Sen e945 is amazing live, but I would even go as far as to say that it is probably good enough for the studio!

Peace out,

Phillip