Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

My attempt to cover 30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill

https://youtu.be/ZvPHE3i0_JA

I guess it turned out ok. I learned some new tricks on how to do the mixing, echoes and what not. But what really bothers me about my singing is that I cannot do a convincing gritty sound. It’s all just straight singing with some loud parts and some quieter parts. I’ve always struggled with how to get that sweet growl color in there.

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    I like the tone of your voice in this song a lot. Something I would suggest is to make the sound a bit more open in the chorus. ''Coooooome'' should be more open which will help you make it more supported more like , ''Brehk mEH daohn'' Always keeping the throat open.

BEFORE you try to do it grittier, I would suggest or as Ken would suggest practice the clean one first and then you dirty up the sound.

Great job.

-Diego
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Not bad. You're getting a little bit of grit in there, but be careful to keep from being too loud with it. It doesn't take much to be too much for your voice to handle. Good job.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You did pretty well, i liked it. I like this song cleaner actually. The 'screaming' has its own sound, and i understand its cool as well, but you should be proud how well you already sing this.

I would also warn you to watch out with grit, especially at higher volumes. Do you follow the KTVA program?

You did a very good job, thank you for posting.

All the best,

Ben
  • PulzarPulzar Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them. I've been working up my courage to buy the course but now that it's on sale I might just as well buy it and start training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    @Pulzar
    If you really like to, and want to learn how to sing, this is THEE place to be.
    The forum assistance with professional Moderators, and hundreds if not thousands of singers to help you along is worth the price of admission in itself. Not to mention being instructed by a world class vocalist?" It's a no brainer my friend.

Peace, Tony
    edited March 2018
    @highmtn

I have some questions about this performance when it comes to technique. Not talking about support or things like that, but are we hearing a mix voice here? I know there is at least a lot of thinned chest voice, but is it mixed as well? And secondly, there is quite a lot of nasal resonance going on am i right?

@Pulzar

Again, i like your rendition. A nice clean and sharp tone. Only a few areas could be improved, and you might need stronger support on some areas i think, especially when you enter the bridge of the song. Just some positive feedback for you! You will learn some great stuff to help you out here at KTVA.

I ask these questions for Bob because i recognize some similar tones here and there which i use myself when i sing this song.

All the best,

Ben
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I would have to say that what I am hearing is mostly thinned chest. You're splitting hairs to try to nail down and identify exactly what is mix and what is thin chest. Mix is thin chest, or heavy head or an artful balance of the two. It's a blend.

I'm hearing a lot of blend. You can't sing mix as powerfully as you can extended chest. But you do have to cut back the volume and air for high chest. Again, with regard to "nasal", I'm hearing what is good about artful use of mask in the tone. Many people consider "nasal" to be a bad thing in the singing voice. This tone is what's good about having a nice blend of nasality.
    I agree @highmtn

I think i have my terminology mixed up and/or wrong as well. Because i agree with you, that a thinned-out chest voice is thin chest or heavy head, a balance of two. So i guess mix voice and thinned-out chest are actually similar or the same?

I agree this is an artful use of mask, and something i use myself too. Nasal is only unwanted for me when it actually SOUNDS like you are singing through your nose.

Thank you for answering!

All the best,

Ben
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    @Pulzar Nice work, mate! This is a tough song to pull off and, the technical issues already highlighted aside, you've done it really well. It's well mixed too, although I'd like to hear your vocal pushed more upfront; maybe just boosting your makeup gain on the compressor would do the job, but either way it should be more more in y'er face in my opinion.

As the guys have said, you're blending really nicely without slipping too much into a nasal tone but you do seem to lack power in the higher parts. Like I said, it's a tough song so I can appreciate the challenge involved, and I hope the feedback will encourage you to strengthen what needs to be strengthened!

Seriously, if you haven't done it already: Buy the course. It's worth every penny. The amount of material and the quality overall is excellent, and I was super, super cynical beforehand. I've made no secret of my concerns prior to buying the course and even admitted to Ken himself that I, arrogantly, even questioned his abilities early on until I actually applied what the guy was saying. In terms of my vocal health and abilities, KTVA has been THE best purchase ever and it even helped me recover my voice completely after having properly damaged it.

Best of luck in whatever comes and thanks for sharing!