Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Space Oddity - David Bowie

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
https://vocaroo.com/i/s04Rmn18uhPF
Look what I have here! A Bowie song!
Give me feedback if the recordings are sounding better.
I made the lead vocal shine more than the harmonies, like you said @TommyM panned them as well.
@videoace @Furious_Phil @highmtn @KaiEllis
I remember I posted one before in these forums, so compare it as a "before and after".
Ha, I even did the claps in the solo. Tons of fun!

Comments

• TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    @Diego - The difference in clarity between this and the first recording I heard from you is monumental, that alone is reason to proud of yourself. It's difficult to pick up on the subtleties with stuff like panning until you're doing it yourself, but this sounds miles better and I can hear all the parts. Stuff like EQ'ing will help further but it's not essential right now since we're just listening back and practicing. I'll still do a few screengrabs of the EQ curve to try and see if that helps when I get a chance.

Vocally, sounding great. You're still doing a bit of the imitation thing, which I know can't be helped sometimes and especially with a voice as unique as Bowie. Your pitch sounds really good, the harmonies sound spot on and it sounds pretty effortless throughout. It sounds like you've got a decent space between you and the mic too, there's lots of air and space that's allowing your higher stuff to sing out. Maybe try just moving a touch closer to the mic overall on the lows so that it picks up that nice depth you've got down there. As long as you're not too close and causing big bumps in the bass or with plosives, you'll hopefully get a more solid sounding recording and be able to hear more of your lower mids.

I just noticed you're on here as a member. Are you doing the course? If not, it's well worth it and I can only imagine how good your voice could be if it's polished up professionally!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    @Diego
    Not bad Diego. One of my favorite Bowie tunes.

It seemed liked you had trouble singing in the lower register a little bit. Other than that, the singing sounded good.

On the first chorus you came in a little too hot on the mic. Not sure about audacity, but you should be able to highlight that portion of the track, and turn it down.

Try panning your vocals even more. At certain points in the harmonies, one of the vocals gets lost because they are panned so close, and maybe even EQ'ed too similarly? You have a 180 degree stereo field to play with so experiment.

Anyway.....good job Diego.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2018
    Really liked this one! Especially as I know it fairly well :smile
    I honestly just don't know how anyone would do this song without imitating Bowie?

I remember reading in a studio mixing course I took that one should always do their first mix in mono, and use the EQ to help delineate the parts... that's typically "subtractive EQ", so as to not add any noise into the mix.
    Once that is done, when you start panning things in stereo, the separation is that much more profound.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2018
    @TommyM Thank you!
    Yeah, I found it hard to not imitate Bowie in this song, I feel like this song was made to be sung like Bowie...

Yeah, I should be getting the course somewhere in June, I've been a member for about a year now. So I should move back on the highs, and close on the lows? I would love some EQ help!
    @videoace Thank you sir!
    I didn't feel any problems when singing down low. But I'm going to try to make it sound better. I still don't really know how to EQ.

I'm going to record it again with the critiques applied.
    @Furious_Phil Thank you Phillip!
    I agree, this song was meant for Bowie's voice!

Thank you for the panning tips!

-Diego

Here are the dry vocals in case you want to hear it a little more in depth.