Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Medical Doctor from Germany started to learn Singing

doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
Hi Folks,

my name is Marco, I am 48 years old and I am a Medical Doctor from Germany. I bought my first album at the age of 7 (I think it was Elvis - Rock'n'Roll) and from there on I was a music enthusiast. My album collection grew with The Beatles, The Stones over Led Zeppelin to Frank Zappa. I learned to play the Trumpet and at the age of 13 I grabbed my mothers guitar. And from there, there was no way back anymore - Music was and is one of the most important things in my life. I played in several bands and had a lot of fun to be on stage.

But to be honest, in the innermost, I actually always wanted to be a singer. But I was not able to sing. My voice sounded crappy, I was not able to hold pitch and what was most frustrating: in my head, when hearing a melody, I heard a second, a third and even a forth or a fifth harmony but my voice was not able to sing the notes. I could just play them on the guitar or the piano. And so I thought I had to realize that I'm just an instrumentalist. Unfortunately, it seemed that I was not gifted with the god given talent to be a Singer.

Years passed by and one day I had a patient who was a professional Opera Singer. She was a very nice woman and I told her that I would like to be a singer, but that I could not sing. She laughed out loud and said "Doctor, anyone can sing. You should learn it." - These sentences hit my heart. A few days later I asked Youtube: "Can anyone sing?" - I think the rest of the journey seems to be similar to yours.

On my 48th birthday, I made a gift myself: Ken Tamplin's Vocal Academy "The Course PLUS" (Volume 1 - 5 + the ProPacks). I was absolutely overwhelmed by how much content you get there. And Ken explains so well and so skillfully that you can really internalize and implement all the little details. In the ProPacks you can see how Ken brings his students from good singers to absolutely impressive singers. All these subtleties, that make the performance perfect.

Personally I am still on Volume 1 (I think in the middle). I practice 45 to 60 minutes every day. Seven days a week. But already after 6 days on the "Starter Exercises" I gained a major Third. After 2 weeks I gained a Fourth. And my voice keeps on growing. Even my speaking voice is getting fuller and more sonorous. And now comes the best: I AM ON PITCH. For the first time in my life, my voice can form the notes my brain hears. That's really amazing. Meanwhile I am obsessed with doing my exercises. They are worth every minute I invest. I know that I am just at the beginning of my life as a singer but thanks to Ken I know: "A Singer is only a singer because he has the guts to be one.". I will be a Singer. Thanks Ken, your are a great teacher.

Greetings from Germany,
Marco

PS.: Could one of the administrators help me to get access to the students area. My role is still on "Member".

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited August 2018
    I love your story, Marco. It's great that you told us about yourself, to help encourage others.

As far as getting your forums status upgraded, please click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll get upgraded into the student areas of the forums if you do as the instructions say.

http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest

Welcome to KTVA and the KTVA forums.

Bob
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited August 2018
    Hi Bob (@highmtn),

I do not want to annoy you, but what link do you mean. I can not find a link.
    Sorry that I have to bother you again.

Marco
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • Im with you being addicted to doing the course, and singing all together.
    It just gets better as you go. I still can't believe some of the things i can do now, and I still can't believe he sells this course so cheap especially with this forum tossed in as a bonus.

My only problem with this course is that it wasnt available to me in my early days of playing instruments. If it were, I would be a rock legend right now.

Enjoy!

Peace, Tony
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Tony (@videoace), hi Gaston (@Gaston_Jauregui),

thank you for your warm Welcome. I already saw, that you both are very active in the KTVA forums. That's great. I'll try my very best to step into your shoes and to encourage other people to take their chance.

Tony @viedeoace: "My only problem with this course is that it wasnt available to me in my early days of playing instruments. If it were, I would be a rock legend right now."

Sometimes I catch myself thinking of the past, but I always manage to make it out of it. Maybe I will not make it into the Billboard Charts anymore, but my kids think of me as the greatest rock star of all time. :-) And ... guess what ... I enjoy singing for myself! At least, I know, that I am the greatest Rock Legend I can think of.

:-)

So good to meet you here.

Enjoy your Singing,
    Marco
    Hello @Angelos. Nice to have you here. Doc
  • WendyJaneWendyJane 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hi @doc_ramadani your story was really interesting and thank goodness you encountered the opera singer! I couldn't hold a note and my husband had told me to" please stop singing, its flat and horrible" (great encouragement! ;) ) But recently I've started to sing more and am really enjoying it. Your story is inspirational and its great to know that its not just the youngsters that can achieve success on this course. Thank you for sharing and I hope you continue to enjoy this exciting journey. All the best from a 50 year old, young fellow student. :)
    Hi @thiago3m,

it means that I gained 4 semitones in range in this short time. Meanwhile I nearly gained an octave (10 months).

Doc
    Hi @thiago3m,

I am 48 years old. My vocal range was G2 to F#4 when I started. My range is now (after 10 months) F2 to E5. :smiley:

Doc
    Hi @thiago3m , around 6 months. Doc
  • ElicapElicap 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 9
    Hey Doc, nice story... When I was a teenager I used to sing at school, my teachers choice were Missas (Latin Catholic Church Classic songs - Missa Brevis in C, for example), that sounded like Opera (head voice?). So I feel more confortable singing in head voice, and with a limited range when in chest voice. As long as I practice it feels more confortable and on pitch, but when I record it sounds completely FLAT. ANy tips for me? Thanks in advance!
    HI @Elicap,

a lot of females are only used to sing in falsetto, especially if they sing in a high range (sopranos). They have to build their chest voice. This can take some time. It it crucial that you try to maintain the brightness of the sound when you work on your chest voice. Together with solid support it will help you on pitch massively.

I would recommend to you that you post a demo (video preferred) of the basic LAH triad scale of Volume 1 in 2 versions:

- one bridging into head voice
    - one stretching chest voice

A lot of things can be seen from these scales. Maybe we can give you some advice. Best post these demos in the internal students' areas, i.e. Volume 1 -> New student demos. I am sure we can help you there.

Doc