Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Vocal Recovery

I had a fever yesterday. My body temp was around 101°F and my voice was fine. But this morning when i woke up, I couldn't even speak. Sore throat and mucus in my throat. Then I successfully clear out the mucus tht's preventing me from speaking. My voice returns but I just know tht something is wrong with it. My lower register sounds good but once i reach around A3 or B3 I sound not airy but squeaky and just not right. I have a cough too. Is it something serious or something tht will recover over time?

Thanks,
Stephen

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I'm just recovering from one of those bugs that is "making the rounds". It starts off with a burning sensation in the back of the throat, Post-Nasal area. Then it gets on your vocal cords, up and down the throat, and into your lungs. After a few days, you are coughing like crazy and trying to get rid of the gunk in your vocal tract. You get a run-down feeling and just plain feel lousy.

That was me on gig day, last Friday. Started out with no voice. Second set could sing a little bit of Background vocals.

By third set, I was doing a little bit of lead vocal, after flame-throwing oil of oregano directly on my cords. That stuff did the trick, but it's really hot stuff. Been doing a bit of liposomal vitamin C, and KickAss Immune therapy, along with a steamer with tea tree oil on the side.

But my voice still hasn't fully recovered. Some of these things just take time. The virus or infection gets set in deeply, and has to run a course. In the meantime, we suffer being taken down a few notches, waiting on a full recovery.

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @highmtn , brother I am in the same boat :neutral:
    I have ok days and bad days... but it certainly has nuked my high end from orbit.
    I basically am back to the vocal range of month 6-8 :-(
    I sure hope I go back to my hard-won range after this gets out of my system
  • The season is changing here, and it's has not been kind to my sinuses. I've been having a hard time with my head voice because my nose is either stuffy, or it's running like a faucet.
    Do hot peppers cause damage to the vocal cords? That seems to work when I'm really stuffy.

Peace
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I think normally hot peppers will be OK. But anything could mess with your cords if it gets on them.

The oil of oregano is very spicy-hot, but it was just what my cords needed to jump-start them at the gig. Flame-broiled my throat and I was ready to sing without gunk.
  • My biggest problem is when my nose runs like a faucet. It takes a good half hour to an hour just to get it to slow down enough to where I can sing. Is there anything out there that works for something like that other than a plane ticket to another state? ha ha

Peace, Tony
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    I don't know if this can help you @videoace, but ALL of my allergies went away when I removed my huge food allergy. I used to have problems with the pollen in the spring. It is the south so when it is coating the cars you know it is bad. Anyway. I figured out I am allergic (intolerant) to citric acid. When I removed that from my diet, no easy task mind you, my allergies went away.

A thought that might help :)