Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

Head voice becomes flutey and airy after vocal exercises

I always lose my head voice after vocal exercises, it becomes very very breathy. Especially the exercises that require me to pass through the passaggio (such as the slider exercise and lip rolls).

My head voice doesn't become airy If I avoid doing any exercises that go through my bridge.

How can I prevent passaggio exercises from ruining my head voice?

Comments

• @eonleemusic , When you are bridging you want to do those lightly. Those exercises are what is going to HELP you get a stronger head voice, not ruin it, but you can't blast through them. Do you tend to get louder as the notes get higher?

Breathy sounds are usually from improper support, and/or cord closure.

When it comes to breath issues always start with your support. "It's the engine that drives everything".

Peace, Tony
  • eonleemusiceonleemusic 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    @videoace Hey Tony, thanks for the reply. No, I don't get louder when I sing high notes. Here's a recording of me doing the slider exercise.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EURV0MurDdg&feature=youtu.be

I have no idea why exercises like this make my head voice raspy and airy. It sounds like there's mucus in my throat even though my throat is 100% clear. I'm pretty sure I have good support.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You are letting way too much unused air pass over your cords in this demo. Also, do you hear that slight "grinding" sound as you go through the passaggio? You are letting something drag together in your throat. Open up the throat, but close the cords together more so as to not have your cords be like a tire that is losing air. A little bit of light cord closure will stop the leaking air. A little more support will also help to hold some of the air back.
  • eonleemusiceonleemusic 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    @highmtn Thanks! I'll try and cut back the airflow