Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

3rd live performance at 3 year of singing( 1,5 year KTVA )

Hey Guys,

On this Wednesday, I had a live performance at my company's annual end of the year party, where I was asked to sing some songs. I took some musical and rock opera songs.

Well, the feedback was quite overwhelming, I almost got 0 negative criticism, they mentioned that I need to improve handling of the microphone and have more contact with the audience, but that is it.
Some colleague of mine have already heard me 1 year ago, and they were shocked how better I sounded.
I even sung some relatively high notes ( D#5, E5,F5) and my colleague says, all "screams" sounded really good.

I am writing this,cause I had some bad experience at live performance only after 1 year of singing, and a kinda "neutral" experience at 2 years of singing ( This time I have done KTVA for 1 months approx.).

It was so good to finally hear something positive feedback after all the hard work put in. Some of the colleagues told me I should sign up for some singing talent shows, others called me artist. :smiley:

So, I would like to THANK for the amazing content and all the support from our moderators and coaches. KTVA was a really good investment already, and there are still many topics which I did not even touched in the lessons. Looking forward for future improvements. ;)

Anyways, sorry for the long ramble, I felt I needed to share this. :D

Happy holidays to every fellow singer!

Csesztes

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Ken sees through us instantly and gets right to the point, directly. You can't fool him. He will call your attention to the things you need to improve.
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    Thanks for your feedback guys.

To be honest, i also consider taking a one-one lesson with Ken, after I put at least 3 years of training at KTVA. That day will come. Haha. :D

I can image how tough he can be based on the videos with Adam.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Csesztes Dont think I will take any lessons with Ken at this stage either, maybe later on when going for song applications. No point in doing at an early stage get the basics down with feedback from the forum is very good in itself.

Regards
    Vocality
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    @victortang

I feel that it is better for me to get my compass calibrated before sailing.

That is wisely said. I catch myself not noticing every detail when watching Ken's videos. Everything is IN THERE. You do not think how often I could slap myself for not getting it. "Uh, I am a stupid old man!" - Ken teaches us EVERYTHING. But I am too dumb to get it. So, I go with George ( @Vocality ) to rely on the forums. The nice people here are helping me so much to get the basis laid.

Regards,
    Marco

edited December 2018
    @Csesztes @doc_ramadani @victortang

Couple days ago I went back to Ken's volume 1 tutorial videos just felt things were going off track a little, re-done support exercises Diaphram, Breath, Sit up execise and the Lah vowel.
    Started volume 1 work outs after revision, right from the start was applying better support if felt correct and pitch and tone was much more consistent (more ping).

Really don't mind even going back to volume 1 even when on later volumes to me it's not failure just revision, still finding my way and now have a better idea on what is required.

Onwards and upwards
    George

@Vocality @doc_ramadani @victortang

Hey Guys,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions. These are highly appreciated.

Well, In terms of discussion, i am with Doc and Vocality, but obviously Victortang's reasoning is valid too, however I am sparing money for buying a flat, that is the #1 priority for now. :D ( Sorry for the off- topic.)

There is some much value and info in Ken's videos,that IMO most of us will not comprehend 100% at the first time or with little singing experience. For example breath support, I have a much better understanding after 3 years, than I had at 1 year obviously, therefore revisiting even volume 1 can be useful and could contain new information, or you can comprehend that information more in depth and can give you an "AHA" moment.

To sum it up, it is definitely worth even in early stages to have a lesson with Ken as a "compass", therefore sparing potentially a lot of work redoing and relearning bad habits, but you can get away even without it with very focused,conscious and self-aware and workouts.
    @Csesztes

Definately worth a lesson with Ken, I would like to have done it at the start just scraped together money for the course. Will do a lesson at one point, just dont have the funds at the moment and quite happy to post on the forum for feedback.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Csesztes,

I think a lesson with Ken is amazing. But, personally, I have at least a dozen of vocal coaches here in the forums. I rely on them.

What about uploading some demos here?

Doc
    Hey @doc_ramadani ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, I have already uploaded a few and will for the future.

To be honest, if my memory serves right, somebody recorded some songs that I sang at my company's party. If I get them, I am gonna upload them for a review.
    Hey Guys,

As promised here is the Video.

To be honest, I was unable to hear trough it, i was only listening to the most hard parts. I still do not like how my voice sound on recordings. :(

Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I know that much, that I tend to go false in the middle and low ranges.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16clU5eMAv74_9QTXcOcxNsfz0QCbCn_-

Csesztes
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Very cool you did well at the event!

I had something similar on Christmas eve and had to throw down with zero warmup.
    Started with 'Livin on a Prayer' which went well and I hit all the modulations. That received applause.
    Then 'Juke Box Hero', applause and looks of incredulity
    Finished with Here I go Again and it was received with quiet and with some nods. I guess they weren't quite ready for a male to hit a solid sustained G5 crescendo just before the solo? :wink:

I still don't know how to read audience reactions well. Was it that they were aghast at the range and "money note", or did they hate it? Could even have been that they weren't fans of 80's rock???
    My wife told me later that they were blown away, but who knows???
    I personally think I'd rather criticism than nothing.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Pretty cool, Phillip!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @highmtn , I forgot to mention that for the better part of last year, my absolute top note (with iffy cord closure) was F5... so when I hit that G5 in mixed, I very well may have been sporting a look that was a mix of a triumphant smile and an astonished WTF :D
  • I know that look too Phil. I may have made that same face a few times. lol

Good to have ya back around brother.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    good job @Csesztes, there were some very impressive high notes there, I understand you couldn't hear yourself, still you did a good job man!