Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Dry cough when winter starts to set in

Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
Do any of you ever get a weird intermittent dry cough from the start of winter when the cold starts ramping up?
(PS - I live in a colder arid climate.)
I am not sick, and It basically comes on like a sneeze... as in out of nowhere, then gone.
The coughing, of course aggravates my vocal cords when they briefly kick in

Just wondering if any of you are going through something similar and what you've done to counter it?

Cheers from Alberta, Canada :+1:

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    When the cold air from the north intrudes on my nice humid air here I get that too.
    I drink lots of green tea/mint tea and drink lots of water. It keeps it at bay.
    I also like to eat a lot of Pho (chicken noodle soup) during those times too.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited January 2019
    @Furious_Phil , over here (Germany, i.e. 6 months of winter), people, including myself, experience this a lot. Someone told me recently it might be brought on by the heating/radiators being turned on at the beginning of winter, and them drying out the air in the room. So they told me to humidify the air, for example, by putting a cup of water on the radiator, or a wet towel over it. You could try that, too. My problem is, I always get some nasty colds in winter, so it might have helped, but then, I got really ill anyway...

Best, Klaus
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Cool!
    I am lucky to be in a place of "dry cold", so when the central heating kicks on in late fall, I am pretty sure that is where the fun begins.
    I am about 3 months off of coffee and on herbal teas, so I am finding that is helping quite significantly as well.
    I try to keep hydrated and drink a glass of Aloe Vera juice close to when I practice or play..
    I find with the dry cold out here that I don't get sick nearly as much as when I lived very near the Atlantic. Might be something to that???
    I even bought one of those Salt lamps to clear my bedroom air...
    I might get a personal humidifier at some point to see if that helps as well.
    When my throat gets all aggravated from coughing, I started taking Glutathione as suggested by Ken, and holy crap does it do miracles!