Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Dark Horse, three months KTVA update

Hi

Here is a recording I did today. I did it at home with Cubase and used a karaoke playback I bought on the internet. It is not a very difficult song, but I am not sure if it is good or not. I feel that I've learnt a lot of things, but I don't know if I am able to apply it when I sing. When you hear yourself over and over aganin, and don't have others listening, you become kind of "blind". Please comment on it. I am sure there are many things to improve here.

http://soundcloud.com/simmot/dark-horse

Thank you for listening

Trine

Comments

• TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269
    By the way, about brightness: I am a bit confused about this. Here I sing quite bright, and some of the dark quality is left out. I did this on purpose. But I like more the sound when I sing a bit darker. Can I do that, and still have brightness? I mean, if I keep the brightess I have in this sample, but still add some more depth. Or will I "cover" the sound then? I can post a sample where I do that, and you can hear what is best.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Trine,

This sounds really good. The tone does sound brighter but it has a sexy quality to it. I would almost say try it even brighter and add a little more support. My new rule is if it sound too bright to me it's probably right to the listener. I've Ben focusing in brightening my tone and cutting back the amount of air that I use. I'm finding my over all tone has improved as well as the ease in which I sing. Great to hear from you again!
    :-) finding that the world didn't go under and that you liked the song is a very good way to wake up today-).
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Is it already tomorrow?

<Whew>

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Well done, Trine!

I must say that, try as I may to find flaws in your performance, I failed miserably.  This song suits you perfectly, and your tone fits comfortably and sits perfectly in the mix.  Someone did a very good job on recording this vocal track and placing it in the karaoke mix.  You did an excellent job of portraying the character in the song, and a flawless rendition vocally.

I don't think you need to add any darkness to the tone.  It sounds very pleasing to my ears.

I'm sold.  When are you releasing your album?

Good job!

Bob

Wow wow wow, BoB! You know how to make me happy! And I know you mean it when you say it:-). THANK YOU!!!! I did the recording myself here in my livingroom. I bought Cubase, a small pre amp and a mic, and i struggle and work until I make it. Great to get feedback. Is the sound of the recording really ok? I have no clue. I will go to a friend in a studio and learn a bit more. What a fantastic tool to have at home.

Trine

Yes,  it sounds good.  You are a fast learner.  If you're just getting started, then you will really improve with experience, trial and error.

It does help to find a good fit in a song.  This song sounds good on you.  Or you sound good on this song.

Practice makes perfect.  Keep it up and you will really accomplish a lot.  The recording process is a great way to make great strides with your voice.

Bob