Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Using a phone to record yourself

Soul_MateSoul_Mate 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 47
Hi guys! I'm trying to know how do i actuallly sound, but the only way that i have to record myself it's my phone. I have used files in front of my ears but ken told me on a comment that i made on a video that that method only gives me an idea of how i sound. So i want to know if you guys began like this, are phone recordings trustworthy? How can i use them to get better, i'm planning to buy a microphone but i don't have money right now.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Phone recordings can be bad or good. Just don't overload the sound. Experiment with how to get the best sound without distortion. A poor recording is better than no recording. It may sound bad to you, but you have to tough it out when you don't like the sound of our own voice. Everybody has to deal with that. As your voice improves, even if your recording isn't the best, you will be able to hear small improvements, one-by-one.

So yeah. Do what you can with what you've got. Make it work for you.

Bob
  • Soul_MateSoul_Mate 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 47
    Ok got it! Thanks for the fast reply
  • AnAnLinAnAnLin 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. @Soul_Mate Thanks for your asking.No need to ask again.
  • TheDrew89TheDrew89 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Thanks for asking this question! I too was wondering about if phone recordings are good enough for uploading demos.
    Andrew
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k4 Member Posts: 19
    I don't know if there's any evidence for this, but I've heard it said that there's an actual difference between how your voice sounds to your own ears, versus technology or other people. My own voice sounds deeper on recordings than what I hear when speaking, so maybe there's some credibility here. Not sure, though - just wanted to point it out.
  • ElicapElicap 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 9
    Mine sound nasal and flat. So disappointing. I´vem been practicing for months, I feel more confortable singing, feels like I am improving range and tone, but it still sounds SO bad. When I sing in a lower register it sounds better (not flat or nasal - is this the right word ? it´s a froggy sound)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Elicap,

I would recommend to you that you post a demo (video preferred) of the basic LAH triad scale of Volume 1 in 2 versions:

- one bridging into head voice
    - one stretching chest voice

A lot of things can be seen from these scales. Maybe we can give you some advice. Best post in the this category: Volume 1 -> New student demos.

Doc