Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Open Throat Tips

Soul_MateSoul_Mate 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 47
Hi guys! I'm beggining to implement the open throat technique to my singing. I noticed that i sound a bit froggy, so i want to know if you guys have open throat tips that we can use. Even if you are a singer in progress and you noticed something that makes open throat singing easier feel free to share!

Comments

• Options
    Ok i saw them and i'm watching rigth now an open throat video, so i want to know how do i practice the low larynx position? Do i have to sing songs like low rider and things like that on a daily basis?
  • Options
    HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    You should not be practicing using songs. There are too many things happening and it is VERY hard to isolate out problems and then solve them through songs. It is better to use scales instead. Here is a video that can get you started on building a practice routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXHQJc9L6s
  • Options
    Ok got it i actually use that vídeo a lot and i dont know if i can practice a low larynx position with that one, i can search on youtube one that fits my vocal range. Btw another question does it matter at what time of the day i practice?
  • Options
    i can search on youtube one that fits my vocal range.
    You can also use a free program like LMMS and make your own practices.
    ...does it matter at what time of the day i practice
    No, just try to keep it consistent.

Low larynx position is something that you need to teach yourself how to do. It takes some time and some experimentation to get but you ultimately are the one that needs to figure out how to do it. Singing is tricky that way in that you can understand what you are doing wrong and you can even understand what you are supposed to be doing to be correct, but there is still the difficulty of getting your muscles to behave in the correct manner. You can get it just be persistent.
  • Options
    God you're the best, thanks you so much i will try to practice more constantly and i will see if i can download lmms, Thanks!
  • Options
    Guys one question, are you able to tell when a singer is using the open throat correctly? Or even if they are using it or not?
  • Options
    Open throat is one piece of a solid foundation. I can tell when a singer doesn't have their foundation underneath them.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Soul_Mate said:

Guys one question, are you able to tell when a singer is using the open throat correctly? Or even if they are using it or not?

Absolutely - when you are listening to students demos over and over you learn to hear these things.