Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi everyone

WendyJaneWendyJane 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
I bought this course yesterday, so while I wait for it to arrive I thought I would binge on all the information on here. I have always enjoyed singing but mainly in the car or to my long suffering husband and pets. My husband is a bass player and has been in bands for years, whereas I have sung in some am/dram productions and once with a friend's band on stage. I really enjoyed this but had a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis shortly after the gig. I had a couple of bad relapses, one in which my left side was paralysed along with my tongue and vocal chords. Mercifully this lasted only a few weeks but I was left with some speech problems. Thankfully the MS is now pretty stable and I'm still walking!

This happened 20 years ago and with speech therapy and a truck load of patience, things started to improve. I stopped singing because I couldn't seem to hold a note. Just recently my husband and a group of musical friends have been getting together to rehearse some songs which they are going to perform at our close friends and family gathering in July. I was 50 in February so it's kind of a nod to that too.

Sitting in on early rehearsals I started singing a little and found my voice was much better than it had been since the relapse. I'm not great by any means but I love singing so I asked if I could try doing one of the songs. I am doing an acoustic version of Space Oddity with my husband on guitar.

I can be quite obsessive and thought if I'm going to sing I want to learn how to do it right. I want all the foundations in place and don't care how long it takes. I was looking for online vocal coaches and came across KTVA, Ken's videos blew me away! So here I am, quite nervously waffling on to you all. I don't know if the MS will hinder me. but I guess I won't know till I try.

Thank you for listening, I cannot wait for my DVD's to arrive and to get to know my fellow students better. xx

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thanks for sharing your story with us, @WendyJane!

You have the right attitude to get a lot out of this course. It does take time, but time is all we have sometimes, so why not put it to good use learning to sing better while we still have time?! Ken's program is really helpful, and the forums is a great place to talk about how it's done, amongst friends and accomplices to the crime.

You're one of us, now. Hopefully, this will be a great way to regain some of your vocal capacities, despite any setbacks you may have had from the MS. Your truckload of patience will come in handy!

All the Best!

Bob
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi @WendyJane hellava story!

Welcome :)
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Hello @WendyJane
    So sorry to hear about your issues with MS, but I am glad it is getting better. Space Oddity is an awesome song. That is pretty cool you can sing with your husband playing.

I am not positive, but I think with the DVDs you get online access to the course for roughly one month. If you login at the student website, see if you can access the course content from there.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello @WendyJane,

I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can imagine that your way has demanded you a lot of patience.

A warm Welcome to these forums.

Doc
  • WendyJaneWendyJane 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    @highmtn
    @HuduVudu
    @Mysti
    @doc_ramadani

Thank you all so much for such a warm welcome :) xx

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Welcome @WendyJane !

You made the right choice with KTVA! Patience and focus will get you very far, and the forum is always here when you need help or want to chat. I am very glad that your MS is stable now, so sorry you have to go through that. However, obsession (to a certain degree) can be a very good thing for your singing journey! Getting those foundations right is exactly the right attitude.

I wish you all the best and enjoy the forum, it is an amazing thing to use next to the course. Helped me A LOT. The people are super helpful here.

Ben
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Welcome @WendyJane , It's great to have you here! Your story is really moving and I've no doubt that the course will help reawaken your love of singing! <3
    Hello there @bentk and @sagemacg thank you for your lovely warm and positive welcomes! Everyone on here seems so encouraging and supportive. I think I have found a really friendly and safe place to learn and grow here. :)<3
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @WendyJane,

yes this is a great learning environment. You are among friends. I would be happy to see you here often. I would like to recommend to you that you visit these forums regularly and listen to other students' demos and comment on them. Then read carefully what other students comment. You will learn a lot from that, believe me. You will get very good on analyzing yourself. Get involved and squeeze out the most of this course.

Doc
    @doc_ramadani , Thanks Doc, I intend to get as involved as much as possible.
    I Have started to watch some demos and it is really interesting to read the comments.
    Thanks again for the welcome advice. :)
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Welcome @WendyJane it's so very nice to have you here. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I was (still am) a car singer too :P Please don't be shy if you have any questions at all and happy singing!
    @Chris82 thank you for your kind welcome. I'm browsing around the forums and I can't believe how much information there is to help our singing journey! I'm waiting for my DVDs to arrive but there is so much here to be getting on with!
    How long have you been doing the course for, if you don't mind me asking? :)
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @WendyJane I have been doing it for around 3 month now. It's been amazing so far!
    @Chris82 it's amazing how it is so much more affordable than even a handful of singing lessons with a much less talented coach. It pays for itself instantly!