Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Who's Cryin' Now by Journey - Live Performance Video

A sample of me singing "Who's Cryin' Now" with my Journey tribute band (Highway Run) live. There are a couple of spots where I definitely cheated a bit, but I'd love to get some feedback.

https://youtu.be/HPtXDcKkEqE

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Gary,

I like that this band seems to prefer drinking water during the gigs. Very good lead vocals. I like that you shed the weight of the sound when you go higher in range.

Your attending singers could benefit from your vocal coaching.

Doc
  • GaryDrummGaryDrumm 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    @doc_ramadani I think my guitarist turned the volume up on his mic, actually. He was the sound guy as well.

I was drinking Topo Chico, it’s a mineral water, with a shot of JD honey whiskey and about a tablespoon of real honey. I find that a tiny bit of liquor helps relax my nerves and my vocal muscles, but not so much that I’m drunk.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @GaryDrumm I actually think you ARE carrying some weight in SOME notes like at 2:38.
    How do you feel when you are singing this live? Do you feel like it's effortless? Or do you feel it goes to your throat at any point?

It sounds pretty good.
    Just making some questions for further examination.
    @Diego

At that specific part I think I was having bit of challenge with breathing and I noticed I went a little flat there. I actually turned around to my drummer after the song and ask him slow it down a bit because he was speeding it up during the chorus section.

I generally feel pretty comfortable and I always rehearse lower parts in case my voice just isn’t feeling it that night, so I have somewhere to go and don’t blow the higher notes.

I had another part in that same show where I went a little flat as well.

Another issue I have is my guitarist LOVES to melt peoples faces off with his amp, so I bought an in ear monitor system today so I can hear myself more clearly and I don’t feel like I have to sing over his ridiculously loud amp.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Yeah, I think your placement for the note should've been a little higher, with more open throat.
    You're honestly doing well, it's not really an easy song. Some parts sound like they might have a higher larynX and CAN get just a little shouty.

Have you talked to your guitarist about this?
    Yeah, and he tries to accommodate. In ears with the monitor feed should help a lot.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I like the timbre of your voice... you are really paying attention to Steve's inflections and line finishes.
    Good job man!
    @Furious_Phil - Thanks man. I sincerely appreciate that.