Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Singing while playing guitar

Hi everyone! I am a singer/songwriter and play shows. People have told me that I sing a lot better when I'm not playing guitar at the same time. Other than practicing a lot, are there any tips anyone can offer on how to project my voice more while playing guitar?

Comments

• RadiantdivideRadiantdivide 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thank you! I will try that!
  • Jourdan11Jourdan11 2.0 PRO Posts: 108
    @Radiantdivide do you not play into a PA? If so just have someone help you adjust your levels. If you are playing without a PA, you could always try using a lighter pick. I don't know your playing style, but its easy to strum to hard and loud with a heavy pick. I use a light pick for songs that I mainly strum, and then a medium or heavy pick when I'm picking. Its important to get the dynamics down on your guitar playing. You don't always need to be playing it at max volume. Just as you wouldn't always sing that way.

@blondiewales has a very good point of practicing the two separately. It is also really helpful to practice with a metronome. Even if your just singing, try using the metronome. :smile:
  • JaromJarom Member Posts: 7
    I don't know if this makes sense or not but this is what helps me. Think of the guitar or the piano or whatever you're playing rhythmically. When singing and playing at the same time. there's usually a lot of syncopation going on and thinking about it rhythmically helps me a ton.