Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

MikiO, starting ´without’ chest voice and a tight throat

MikiOMikiO 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
Hi All,

I joined yesterday, watched the first videos for the first time .. very early ..

My whole life I was weak, but in the last year, after following a increased protein, body building type diet I was actually able to gain strength and it had a massive impact on my energy levels.

I am a guitarist and found that I could commit to focused technique exercises over long periods and noticeably improve in every way.

I also picked up ear training 3 months ago and have seen slow but steady progress.

This is te context and trying to sing the scales, and always having a tight neck and getting quickly hoarse, and advice from a teacher made me look towards singing lessons.

Luckily I started Wim Hof breathing also 3 months ago and have even incorporated diaphragmatic breathing at the end of each Wim Hof Merhod session.

Still, I can say that diaphragmatic singing is completely new to me. I believe I always sang with a lot of tension in my throat.

As I was looking around I tried some exercises and workouts I found on YouTube and after one such warm up, trying one of my old songs, I noticed - for the first time - that my stomach actually engaged, that my chest actually resonated - no lies, I am not exaggerating - this was the first time I experienced that sensation - about one week ago!

The next day that ability was gone again ..

And then I found Ken Tamplin, and the reviews got me excited, and the immediate emphasis on diaphragmatic breathing makes me believe that I am at the right time at the right place.

Thank you!!
Bless!!
Miki

Comments

• MikiOMikiO 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    I am 43 years old and live in Lausanne, Switzerland
  • Welcome, @MikiO ! I identify with much of what you have written here. I have been weak for many years, and KTVA led to me finding and using my chest voice for the first time, and then growing it. The diaphragmatic breathing helps so much outside of singing, too. It feels amazing to feel it all work. You are clearly dedicated, and I am sure you will thrive. I wish you all the best!

As you have the course, send a copy of your KTVA receipt to ktvaforums@gmail.com and request a student upgrade to the forums. We discuss the course in detail here, and there is lot of help, advice, and experience here to learn from.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome mate! There are so many of us here that discovered the joys of good singing technique through the course. I have been on it for just over a year with no prior experience besides about 6 months of singing in the car and karaoke at home. The difference is huge!

If I understand you correctly you bought the course? You can get your status upgraded to find the student area following these instructions.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest

It's great to have you here 🙂
    Ok, I just forwarded my receipt - thank you so much!

Having read some of the posts and both of you helping me getting on board right away makes me feel super welcome - much appreciated!!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @MikiO,

a warm Welcome also from a neighbor from Germany. I found Ken in a comparable way - and to buy the course was the best investment in myself I ever did.

You will love the course and this encouraging community. Do come here often!

Doc
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Doc! I love the reception.

I have one worry - how am I not going to get in trouble with my neighbors!

Half kidding - I work 4 days a week from home, lunch time singing should not be a problem.

And this lunch time, working in the office (with my commute I have very long days) I went to the local park and practiced there for half an hour - I love having arrived here - the enthusiasm is contagious!

So grateful!
    Thank you all!
    Miki
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Welcome @MikiO
    good luck with this course. You've come to the right place to improve. Greetings from Holland.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Welcome from Finland. Don't worry about support or throat singing too much, since your approach to them will change and evolve during your journey. They will get better each week you practice.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Welcome @MikiO ! It's good to have you here. I'm sure you will enjoy Ken's course, it's quite excellent and has really helped me develop my voice a lot! If you ever have any questions this is a great place to ask.