Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Please give advice for All I Ever Wanted by Howi Spangler

Jourdan11Jourdan11 2.0 PRO Posts: 108
Hey guys! One of my favorite musicians just released an EP about two weeks ago. I’m covering his song All I Ever Wanted. This song has proven to be difficult for me due to the range in the original Key of D. I recorded a version in D, and this morning I recorded one in C. My pitch is far from perfect, but I’m working hard. Please take a listen, critique me hard, and let me know which key I should continue to work in.

Some side notes, I learned the guitar parts on Sunday, and started singing it Monday. I was practicing Monday night while playing the guitar, so I decided to record the guitar parts on Tuesday, so I can really practice the vocals. I recorded the Key of D on Tuesday, and The key of C this morning. Please ignore the distortion on the acoustic, I think I need to swap the 9v battery. Enough blabber, thanks for your time :)

Key of D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A4yjEL3uIUhXWif0IhWqeydESOkBZYaN/view?usp=drivesdk

Key of C

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uwdhAs--wHCJd-6VvzdTI4VSeA9wLY3f/view?usp=drivesdk

The original by Howi Spangler

https://youtu.be/GnCD7Drswuk

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Jourdan11,

how great is that? - Very nice to see you again, Jourdan. (Bump), it would be nicer to see you here more often, Fellow.

To me, both versions sound very good. But be careful: as you are getting higher in range it sounds like you are raising your larynx and tend a little bit towards sounding froggy. This might be okay if you want to go for that sound. If not, then you should try to stay really open on the sound. Keep the open "AH"-sound as you go higher.

Besides these little "remarks" these are very convincing demos, Jourdan. Kudos, mate.

Doc
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Both were good but the key of c sounded more comfortable to you and brought some richness into your tone I think that was lacking in the key of d version.
  • Jourdan11Jourdan11 2.0 PRO Posts: 108
    Hey @doc_ramadan , I hope you are doing well! Im glad you think they sound good, I can see a huge growth in my singing. I owe a lot of it to you, thank you for being so helpful! I know I haven't been on as much lately. I've been so caught up with practicing vocals, guitar, open mics, work, and learning some adobe software on top of it all. Ive been doing the work outs harder than ever though!

I definitely don't want the raised larynx sound ha! It's really humbling to go from doing workouts, feeling like the man, and then going to sing a song with consonance sounds. It really makes a difference when you are singing words vs. just vowel sounds. It makes me realize how much of a beginner I am.

In the first verse, there is a line that says "I am in love with every word you say". On the word say, was my mixed voice ok? I tried to flip to head voice on the word say. Im still struggling with my bridging (Im going to post a report on my AH vowels after I send this), but I am making progress.

Thank you for listening!

I'll tag you in my Ah exercise report!
  • Jourdan11Jourdan11 2.0 PRO Posts: 108
    @Chris82 I agree, I like the key of c more. Its more comfortable for me to sing too. The key of D is up there for me in this song ha!

Do you think it is good to still practice in D, or should I just work on C? Even if I only ever perform it in C.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I think with time and practice d will become as comfortable to you as c currently is. I guess it depends on what you are learning not for. If you have an upcoming performance then practice c. But if your just learning the song because you like it well then stick with d because you will eventually get it sounding good with time and it will feel easier. Plus I always think songs sound best in the original key if possible.