Home Off Topic

Why do some people sway from side to side whenever they sing?

KrystalKrystal Member Posts: 34
I have wondered about this for many years. It drives me crazy! The minute certain people open their mouth to sing, they start to sway. If I keep my eyes on them it almost makes me seasick, lol. I don’t think they even realize they’re doing it. It’s not a rhythm thing, qat least I don’t think it has anything to do with that. In fact they can be swaying totally out of time with the song being sung. In all my life I never swayed like that and I don’t do it now. I just lean comfortably on one leg or the other.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I would just assume they are feeling the moment? :smiley:
  • KrystalKrystal Member Posts: 34
    Wigs said:

I would just assume they are feeling the moment? :smiley:

Yeah, that is what I have read in researching, it’s an instinctive thing too. But as to feeling it in your soul and whatnot...I’ve also seen many inexperienced singers who wobble back and forth while they hang their heads and mumble their way thru a song. Not in rhythm either 🙄 LOL, and no, they were not inebriated. Still,even for the shy ones it might be some kind of primal instinct. //listens for the sound of native drums//

• GaryDrummGaryDrumm 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    Keeping time with the music. It's the kind of the same thing as banging your head.
  • KrystalKrystal Member Posts: 34
    GaryDrumm said:

Keeping time with the music. It's the kind of the same thing as banging your head.

🤣 Even when they aren’t swaying in rhythm? LOL I remember when my niece got married the first time. Others in the family agreed that it was a cursed day, or seemed like. Of course I’m probably the only one who recalls the soloist... Some guy who looked and sounded like he would rather have been anyplace else but up there. I think the song was There Is Love (Paul Stookey?), a very common wedding selection back then. Not a whole lot of melody to it. But the guy was off key, mumbling the words, hanging his head, and swaying out of rhythm. I was almost in tears. But not for the usual reasons women cry at weddings. I was disappointed that my niece didn’t think of me as a soloist choice. Even worse was having to sit thru the awful rendition of that song... 😫 argh

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi mates,

I think, at least for the beginning, we should try to avoid this swaying since it is a moving target. We can re-introduce any artistic expression later on.

My 2 cents,
    Doc