Homeβ€Ί Psychology of Singing

Am I a diva....

....in a bad way?

Im the lead vocalist in a band and I feel like I have to really discuss respect for my instrument. When i ask for the band to find other places in the Room where we Are rehearsing, when I want to use my own mic and so on, just for me to able to hear my self, to actually practise and not to oversing and ruin my voice just to be able to hear the consonants.... They seems to dislike it. They dont understand how important it is. IT seems to me they think its just to sing along, and thats it. Dont need to warm up (!) And dont need to practise. Last time we had a gig they spoke of me as a "diva" behind my back. I am o diva, so I embraced it, but still it hurts a bit. No one comments when the guitarplayer want his amp or the drummer want his own pedals, but when the singer wants her own mic its to much? I dont get it.

Is this common? Or am i the only one experiencing this? Am i a diva, the bad way?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I have really come to respect the voice as an instrument since starting this course. I have never been in a band but my girlfriend used to be and she had the same issue. I'd like to invite @coffeecrank to share some of her experiences.
    I feel for you and I hope that your fellow band members can come round.
  • heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    Thank you so much for your response. πŸ™ It so good to hear this. I am not giving up on them quite yet. For several reasons. First of all theres not so many metalbands around her πŸ˜… not so many bands at all. Second, I need the stage expirience. Third, they have promiced me better sound. And right now were in studio recording. But it does, like you wrote, impact on how fun it is to participate.
    Im out in the country of norway. And you?
  • DonniDeVilleDonniDeVille 2.0 PRO Posts: 25
    @heidianita I think you must be too sweet, never mind about being a 'Diva!'

When we first start out singing lead in a band, the other members sometimes think they can get away with not respecting the job we do out front.. They use their instruments, and not someone else's, so do not let them stop you using your mic! (Besides you don't know what you'll catch using their mics!) Also, they turn up as loud as they feel, usually in competition for the loudest sound. And if they don't know how important it is for the lead singer to be heard and to feel comfortable out there, they are not professional enough. Certainly, not worth staying with.

As they already think you are a Diva, you could metaphorically stamp your foot and just do as you think right, reminding them, that you need to practise your part just as they do. Do they even sing good harmonies with you? I bet not.
    Haha! I've tried to get them sing harmonies with me, bot they won't. 🀣 And yes, ive been thinking the same. I am a diva, and I will live it all out!

Thank you for the support, guys. It helps a lot 🀘
    Good for you Heidianita! Give it all you have regardless! It's all experience until you get a better position.
  • KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    I have a same experiences. Especially thanks to drums I can't hear itself. The drums assemble should sit in some box from foam. And maybe not to play at all.... :D
    I used to put cotton wool in my ears! That's works well!
  • KenfromCZKenfromCZ Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2020
    @coffeecrank Oh yes. Sweet guy. Of course. T-shirt and biceps. But Yet I say, shut him into box. :D
  • MikeyParentMikeyParent 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    I think good musicians will understand this stuff and bad musicians wont. Ones who don't sing at all may just not "get it". No other instrument is as sensitive to your mental and physical state as the voice. And you need to be very mindful to maintain vocal health and maximize your performance. If you are playing with people that dont understand that, and wont come around, I'd suggest moving on.

If I was having a strenuous night due to illness/fatigue or whatever, I would often go off by myself on set breaks and not talk to anyone to rest my voice. It felt awkward and anti-social but sometimes these things are necessary.

As far as microphones:
    I have a mic a I like and prefer to use. But if you find a GOOD sound guy (I have had one) you can trust that

a) they will have a good mic, even better, a mic thats good for your voice
    b) they will know how to make you sound good with any mic

Same thing for effects. I have used vocal pedals lots, but defer to a good sound guy when he wants to bring it out of the setup.