Home Psychology of Singing

Can't wait to record, but I fear the akward moment of hearing it

PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
edited February 2020 in Psychology of Singing
Strangely enough, this forum makes me want to record myself and post it: for the first time in my life, this morning I sung a song I had practiced, in order test the rendition of it (caught a glimpse of the recording section of the forum, by the way)

Right now, I feel ready to record and listen to it, although I know I will certainly dislike the sound of my voice

But I'm so curious to hear the result of the exercises and restructuring of the song, that I'm willing to go beyond the akward feeling of hearing myself

Still, I fear I may never find any of my recordings OK : how do you know your singing is OK ?

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Do it man! It will only make you better. It may reveal some painful stuff but finding out the bad parts is the first step toward making them sound good. Eventually you will like the way it sounds cuz it will have made you better. The tape doesn’t lie and you will grow from it Do it. In the long run you will be glad you did
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
  • guzmanguzman 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    Hi @PhMarne! Regarding your post... welcome ... get in line! haha
    It is totally normal and everyone here and outside this forum probably felt the same things. If you work on your voice with constancy, you will improve, you will sound good, but for that you need to go through different phases, including listening to yourself.
    And regarding your last question, record yourself and listen, try to identify your areas to improve and try to improve them. Do not delete your recordings. Sometimes you will think that you sing better than some previous recording and you will want to delete it, DON'T DO IT! That is one way to see how you improved, what are your other areas to improve and identify the things you do unconsciously in all the recordings and that you needs to change.
    As @sjonrokz4u mentioned (and totally agree), do it man!
    Good luck!
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    also, you will get used so quickly to hearing yourself, you will look back not even remembering what the actual problem was :)
    I knew it would be painlful, but I've got so many issues I don't know where to start 🤦‍♂️
    I'll try tone first, then re-assess 😮
    I translated my song into vowels, so I guess I'll train that way, too 💪
    See you!
  • jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Hey @PhMarne,

Absolutely! Just do it! Jump in the deep end baby! Haha. Pretty much everyone hates the sound of their own voice when they first hear it on recording. You are used to hearing what you sound like, from what it sounds like in your own head. Hearing it in a recording will always sound a bit different.

Just remember that everyone is their own worst critic. So be kind, and be patient with yourself. Even if you record yourself and only you listen to it. Once you start to get used to hearing your own voice then you can start making more recordings and build up that courage to start sharing them in the forum.

Just remember that everyone is here to learn, nobody is perfect, and this forum is a very supportive, encouraging and positive place. :smiley:

Keep singing!
    Jackie
    Thanks everyone!
  • HairyBloke73HairyBloke73 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    Hi @PhMarne in my own journey with singing the main issue that I find is not hearing the singing for the first time. The first step is getting used to hearing your speaking voice. With singing I find that my main issues is either being flat or not hitting the note.
    Keep on recording yourself and when you watch be honest and you can be brutal with yourself as I find that it drives me to learn and develop my voice and my style.

Start recording with songs you are comfortable with and feel you sing well, it will build your confidence when you listen and analyse so you can get better at that song.

Hope this helps

Darren
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    I totally get this fear... To be honest I was TERRIFIED to record myself.. but you need to get over this in order to improve.
    I think it's easier to record yourself doing the Lah exercises, as there is no emotion attached to it. This way you will get used to hearing your voice and it won't be as a awkward when you actually sing. Also I realize that when I listen back to my recordings it feels like I am listening to someone else, so I don't take my mistakes too personal.
    Don't overthink it and just start recording. The more you do it, the more it becomes normal.
    I've started to record myself only a couple of weeks ago and I already feel kinda used to it.. :) so just do it!
  • Reuben03Reuben03 2.0 PRO Posts: 183
    Yeah just do it, It took me a year to have the courage to start recording myself, but anyone who is reading this. Record yourself and practice in front of a mirror, you'll improve faster and you'll know where you are going wrong, this is important!! For me, I hate the sound of my singing voice and my speaking voice. When I was a kid my voice was an octave higher than all the other kids in my class!!