Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Compression... again

PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
Hey everybody!

I'm a huge fan of Kati Cher, but I have a question on the way Kati compresses on her Balck Cage 'Let's Party' song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jfqZOnyekQ

Was it before or after the lessons from Ken ? Would you recommend to growl that way ?
I'm asking because when I try to compress, I tend to sound like that : am I destroying my voice when doing that, or am I just letting my external vocal folds doing the job ?

Thanks!

P.S. : Kati, you are the best!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    no idea if this is before or after. I think maybe post an example of yourself doing it if possible?

does it feel like you destroy your voice? that would be a first indication (which doesn't mean it is safe if it does not feel like that). are you hoarse after?

i only knew her covers from the KTVA channel, that was cool
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Kati became Ken's student because she was losing her voice the way that she was singing. Ken built up her voice and then taught her how to correctly compress.

Compression is an extreme sport and if you do it improperly you are going to lose your voice. It is up to you on what you think of my advice, but ALL of the singers that I have seen that sang incorrectly no longer have a voice they can sing with.

My two cents.
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Many thanks @HuduVudu @Klaus_T

Since I'm a beginner, I'll assume I'm doing it wrong and try to spot the differences between Kati's Black Cage compression and Kati's cover compression

Thanks again!
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2020
    You probably won't be able to spot the difference unless you have training. Sadly that puts you in a Catch 22. Best to not mess with it until you can get the training you need.
    Well, we'll see... Maybe dome differences are noticeable, after all
    Hi everybody!
    There is definitely a difference and the good news is you were right : in her Black Cage growlings, Kati is pushing her voice so hard that her vocal folds can't but give in to the over-excess of extra air she's forcing through them from the inside of her body...
    To the contrary, Kati's KTVA compression:
    - does not sound like she's destroying her voice;
    - seems to come from the outside, as if she's preventing her voice from coming out completely out of her throat by keeping it inside a little bit.
    It looks as if she's maintaining her voice inside, thus applying a balanced pressure on her trachea that makes it vibrate at the appropriate level.
    Maybe one day I'll give it a try.
    Thanks again for the warning messages, anyway: I thought I had it and I was doing it all wrong...
    @HuduVudu @Klaus_T
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    cool, looks like you really analyzed it :)

the thing is, it is always a bit like taking the fun out of it when warning/being warned about vocal damage, but in the long run, it is the right thing to do.
    Thanks again for the warnings
    @HuduVudu @Klaus_T