Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Runners body?

Hi guys, just wondering what you're interpretation of what Ken means by 'Runner's body' is with singing. Does he mean that when we do excercise, we should stick to Cardiovascular, to keep our lungs and body fit and help stamina. Does he also mean, aim for a slim body rather than a muscular body, so runners body i.e slim and fit, rather than big and muscular. Should we avoid lifting weights and stick to cardio work outs?

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Being in shape helps with general health which is important to all aspects of your life but when he’s talking about a runners body he’s speaking metaphorically about the condition you want your voice components and singing parts to be in. As far as your health, cardio, strength training, and healthy diet all play their part in daily life health and singing health
  • kylevox1987kylevox1987 2.0 PRO Posts: 39
    Okay cool yeah. I was concerned about ever doing weight lifting as I've read sources saying that it can cause restraint in the neck, shoulders, abdominal region etc, which we use for singing.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    @kylevox1987 i like to think it more like a sprinters body than marathon runners body.

@DogMeat is correct on the sprinter thing but don’t be concearned about lifting weights. I do cardio and strength training 3 times a week. Ultimately you want to be physically healthy for life. There’s plenty of examples of fat people over muscular people and unhealthy people singing but being healthy just makes you and your singing healthier in the long run I believe
    Cool yeah! Is it good to keep your actual weight down though? So we're lighter on our feet etc, also for reasons to have more energy on stage, breathing etc. I'm guessing the more muscle the more energy we use up, especially if we're working out during the week and gigging on a weekends. When our body's are repairing, that's using up energy for stage / singing surely?
    @DogMeat @sjonrokz4u this might sound ridiculous.. but do you guys have an example of a perfect singers body? I never know what's best. Singers like Steven Tyler, I've notices he's pretty skinny, like barely any muscle / beef on him at all. Also Axl Rose (in his younger days). So it's like the singers with the highest crazy range etc are very slim and light you know?
    I believe he’s speaking metaphorically. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe when he says a runners body he’s talking about your vocal conditioning
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Yes he is being metaphorical. As far as ideal body shape weight ect, well everyone's body is different just like their voices. I still train with weights, go rock climbing, running, kayaking, walking ect, I have a very active lifestyle. SOMETIMES I might go easy on the ab workout if I want to concentrate on a good vocal workout but now I'm at the point I can start to do both in one day without much negative affect. Listen to your body, stay healthy, do your best to avoid physical or vocal injury.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Yes. It's just a metaphor. Healthy singers body shouldn't be any different than any other healthy body. You can aim for the same things and keep up the good habits. We are still individuals and look different in the end, but there is a huge difference how you treat you're body.