Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to become semi-pro or pro

Hey Guys,

I am singing for 4 years and a 7 months now. ( But who counts it, right? :D ) I Joined KTVA on MAy in 2017. If I say I learned and improved a lot, it is probably an understatement. :)

However I noticed something. I still sound very amateur compared to other pro or even semi-pro singers. I know it is probably not the smartest thing to compare myself with singers whose have a lot more years on me but still.

My routine was consistent ever since I started singing, but In the last 6 months especially. I have been doing VOL3+VOL4+VOL5 on the sam day 5 days/ week.

Here is a very fresh song to give a good indication about my current level. It is a Lost Horizon song.
https://youtu.be/YHdkDtcOzOY

So my question is what should I do to sound more professional. Should I just be more patient,keep pratcicing and in time it will come or there is more to it?

As always any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for reading and happy singing to you. :)

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i think a pro is someone who makes money with it, so if you manage to get someone to pay for hearing you sing, you are a pro! ;) i know that wasn't your question. i heard bands with singers who sounded less professional than you, and actually liked them (i am into punk). i think you would be just fine if you played that live with a band. a) you sound good already, and b) don't underestimate what difference a microphone, reverb etc. plus in a live scenario the sheer volume will make. it would blend in with the music, you don't get that in your setup

but have you ever tried to sing your own songs? i find i sound better on my own stuff, because a) i don't have the perfect image of the original in mind, and b) you will hardly write something that you can't sing

i don't say this is the only reason "pros" sound like "pros", but mostly they will also sing their own material, and this makes a difference.

i am currently mixing vol 1 and 2 (on different days), but what I heard from people on 3, it sounded like that alone was very challenging, so maybe you are overdoing it a little there? just my guess and maybe i am wrong
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I think you sounded pretty damn good at that kind of music. I’m an 80s metal fan so I love the highs! 100 percent agree with @Klaus_T that you would sound fine singing that with a band and 200 percent agree the more “professional “ sound will be there with a mic compression and effects like everyone has in recording or live performance be proud of what you’ve accomplished and find a band playing that kinda stuff or start writing
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    Hey Guys,

First of all thanks for your feedbacks.

I am in a band and we cover some songs. I checked some of our concert footage and compared it to other singers covering the same song who I know are pros and they sound more professional. I do not know what it is though. Sorry it is a little bit vague explanation.

1, Honestly somehow creating my own music was never appealing to me for some reason, but that is a very good point.

2, I am very confident that I am not overdoing it because I used to. :)
    Result was blunt tone and sore throat. I lowered a volume and now I can do the training with no fatigue at all and voice stays crisp and clear.
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    I am truly impressed
    Your pitch is perfect and seems to come with such ease!
    If you want to sound more like the record, make your vowels last just a tiny bit longer and allow yourself more bluntness on the final consonants...
    But this has nothing to do with becoming a pro, which is another issue on which I like Klaus' answer
    Cheers!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    What popped to me almost immediately was that although you are able to hit those notes well, I feel you could be engaging your support a lot better. If you could give another demo in the student area then I could go into more detail relating it to the course.
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    edited April 2020
    Hey Guys,
    @PhMarne @Wigs

Thanks for your feedback.

@Wigs ,
    Thank you for your offer. I will soon, then notify you. :)

BR
    Csesztes