Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Need advice - tried to sing "Like a Stone" - video attached

Hi, hello everyone. Guys, could you please check this below clip and tell me if what I'm doing here is correct? It does require some effort to sing thoses F4s and above that it gets really hard, good thing is it doesn't hurt and I'm not feeling hoarse or anything of this sort after singing. Am I using mix here or is it headvoice, maybe dragged chest?What can you say about my tone? Is it somewhat ok? A bass, baritone? Any specific area I should target to improve?



thanks in advance

Comments

  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4,308
    This is a difficult song to sing the way Chris does. Its a bit hard for me to tell exactly what you are using but it doesn't sound like a full chest once you get to the chorus. How you sing it though suits the acoustic. As far as your technique, it is very slightly on the airy side. If its an artistic choice then that's fine, if it is the only way you can sing, then I would try to use less air during your practices so you can preserve your voice down the track.

    Very well done though!
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,140
    You are using a bit too much air for what you are singing. You could also change your vowels a bit so that you have an easier time. For a short example : In '' like a stone'', you can go pure AH ʼʼLahk AH stoneʼʼ. If you are trying to go for the original you might want to make that tempo a bit slower. For that chorus you don't use that much chest.

    Hope this helps!

    Diego
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for your answers! Not sure what you mean exactly by saying "too much air" - too breathy tone or too much pressure?

    I have just found out, that in fact, Im attacking my vocal cords with too much pressure (or just air?) - not sure if it is what you guys meant. Generally, when I apply less force singing becomes less fatiguing. In the "Like a stone" example, it is still possible to get those F4 and the strain is almost completely gone but there is something strange happening - its like 70% staying connected, but the other 30% wants to disconnect, so there is like a strange breakup happening. When I try to sing G4 like that (ussing less pressure) the break is like 50% to 50%, so the higher, the more it wants to be weak/disconnected/falsettoish. Is it normal? How to stay connected using less air or force?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4,308
    Too much air means you are using more than necessary to sing a note or phrase. To get an idea of what I mean, take a breath, exhale as quick as you can, take another and spend as long as possible exhaling the breath, letting as little escape at a time so it takes much longer to run out of air.

    What you are describing about disconnection sounds like the second passagio, which is between our call register and head voice. We use the term support instead of force, since you are not supporting as much its harder for your voice to stay in chest, hence you feel the balance start to tip the other way.

    Check out this discussion for exercises

    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/13556/singing-critique#latest

    And look up Kens diaphragmatic breathing video.
Sign In or Register to comment.