Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Terrified of my own voice... but I'm doing it!

bradsmith007bradsmith007 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
Hi all. I signed up and I my biggest fear is not actually doing the work. I'm so intimidated that I always chicken out of doing anything related to voice training. I think I've wanted to overcome my fear of singing for that last 10 years, but two days ago I bought Ken's course and amazed myself by ACTUALLY doing volume one exercises!!! I was petrified that someone in the house would hear me... but I did it anyway. I noticed that once I put the headphones on and had Ken in my ear I was no longer terrified... just a bit self conscious. I also bought a lock for the door on my study... which definitely helped! :smiley:

And tonight I nearly made some crap excuse to no practice, but I snapped out of it and did it anyway. Fingers crossed I can stick around and run this marathon one step at a time.... but at least I've taken two steps!!!! :smile:

I sing bedtime songs to my boys every night... but I'd love to actually be able to sing... aim for Steve Perry/Freddy Mercury ... land at decent karaoke guy... that'd be amazing!

Any tips for keeping the momentum going or being accountable to continuing practice... ? I'm all ears. The appeal of face to face lessons is that I can book it in on a schedule and then I'm obliged to go. Plus lose money if I don't show. The problem is... now I only want to learn from the church of KTVA! Too bad you don't have KTVA certified instructors :wink:

Hoping to be stalking the forums and chipping away at my practice for years.

Cheers,

Brad

Comments

• Options
    Hey @coffeecrank ! Thanks for the reply. It's super encouraging to hear experiences like yours. Just keep swimming. I like it :smile:
  • Options
    @coffeecrank , I just subscribed to your youtube channel. Awesome stuff. Gives me hope.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @coffeecrank would you say that you've improved a lot since you started? Like, could you hold a tune before you started KTVA? I just recorded myself singing for the first time ever in my life at it's terrible.... I simply don't seem to know what to do with my voice! lol But I did read from one of the moderators here somewhere that you should record yourself all the times if possible... because surely one day I'll look back from a different skill level and appreciate how far I've come. :smiley:
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Brad,

Just make yourself get started every day. Starting is often the hardest part. Once you have begun, stick with it, and get through it. It gets easier. Get past that inertia of not having started. Then just keep going. This stuff will gradually begin to take hold and sink-in.

Do it!

:)

Bob
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hi! Welcome to the forum! There is a lot to learn about, discuss etc. here. Have a look around. :)

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    Thanks @highmtn ! Well, I just hit 4 days. One foot in front of the other! :smiley:
  • Options
    Thanks, @bentk There certainly is a lot! Looking for some more before / after success stories, especially guys, right now.
  • Options
    Hey @coffeecrank, I love that. I feel like a decent amount of desensitization will no doubt change the fear of hearing my own voice. I can already feel some of that happening after 4 days, so that's nice.

My new goal is to sing Happy Birthday. lol Baby steps.