Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

I'm new to KTVA!

Most of you newbies share you are late in the game, but I'm 56! I've been performing on stage since I was 14 with gymnastics, then dance through college as a Dance/Movement/Ex Science Major, touring in 7 states and teaching and choreographing, as well as competing; then professional speaking over the last 6 years. I've had 2 voice classes in college, but never developed my voice because my dancing is my strength. ( I auditioned for Disneyworld in Orlando twice in college, got to the finals both times but was blown away by the singers....I had the moves and the acting down!

A little over a year ago, I was in 2 accidents, and have 3 herniated bulging discs in my lumbar/sacral area and a torn meniscus. I turned to music as my therapy, and began playing the tambourine, and added other percussion instruments, and have been performing in a trio and duet for almost a year now. I'm also going to be a 1st-time Grandmother this weekend!!
My lead singer/lead guitarist has challenged me to pick up some interesting percussion patterns (I never thought I'd be a percussionist, either!), and now into singing some background vocals.

I always wanted to sing, esp. harmony, and those deep throaty rock/blues songs. (I'm not sure my range yet as I haven't pushed it yet) I just started the live-stream exercises with terms and Volume 1 into barely Volume 2 almost 1 week ago.

Is there a definite slow-steady pace to follow as a protocol always? I've scheduled in 1 hour/5-6x/week.

Oh, and I haven't shared with my lead guitarist/male vocalist I am doing this...I want to blow his ass over when I'm ready to surprise him.

Any hints, suggestions for slow steady progression, would greatly help.

I'll start to tape myself next week and post some scales, or whatever you suggest.

Here's to another great chapter in my life!
Christine

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Hi Christine. I’m 56 and started in January like you I’ve done some touring around as a Gtr and bass player for a few years. My only singing was self learned harmony vox and I sang keep your hands to yourself but that was it. Since those days I’ve had two thyroid surgeries where they removed half each time. My advice is pretty simple. Stay motivated and celebrate your small achievements and stay away from vol 2 until your ready. How will you know when your ready? I would suggest posting scales periodically and have people here critique them and after 3-6 months of working you may be ready. I’ve just been told I was ready for moving forward last week. I’ve just completed almost five months and that’s with singing harmony for years and a long history of musical background. Good luck on your journey stay motivated and take your time and welcome
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the family :smile: Im sure your band mates will hear a noticeable difference in your singing after a month or 2. Grab your student access here

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest

My advice for not moving on too quickly is besides putting up scales is to be very conscious of what you are doing. It might not be long before you feel comfortable with the scales in volume 1, but you need to make sure that you are covering every single check point to make sure you get the most out of it before moving on. Each volume is a next step in learning, it won't mean a thing if you haven't properly studied each one because they build on each other.

Im excited for you and look forward to hearing you!
  • Options
    christinefoltzchristinefoltz 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Wow, you all are so positive and prompt in your response. Thank you , I just got chills because I believe if you work hard and follow instructions carefully, you can achieve anything!!
    With all the chaos, fear and frustration, it’s always good to channel negative energy in a positive direction. This will be MT channeling direction.
    Btw- I’ll be a 1st-time Grandmother today! My daughter-in-law is in labor as we speak! :)
    Christine
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287