Greetings, fellow singers!
Wich of the following Beyerdynamic headphones should I opt for:
- the closed ones, DT770?
- the open ones, DT990?
Thanks!

Best Answers

• EscironEsciron 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    Answer ✓
    I thougth the open ones are the beyerdinamic 880.
    I think 990 are semi-open. I use open kind more often, even recording vocals, and only close ones when I need to, the reason is that they feel more natural and confortable, specially when using them for long periods of time. But there are scenarios where a close ones work better (using electronic drum kit i.e.) In any case all the listed are exceptional quality and a great buy for the price!

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    what do you want to use them for? if you want to avoid headphone bleed or avoid hearing background noise (mixing in noisy environment), closed. if you want it comfy over longer time and less hard on your ears, the open ones. i have both, and they are both similar in terms of the built and everything, both very good. the closed one is standard in the studios i work for (voice over for video games). everyone uses them. i would get the closed one if i had to chose, it is probably a bit more flexible for more allround occasions. if you are in extra noisy environments a lot, there is the 770 M (i think) which is for drummers. super isolation but also not sounding quite as good, and more exhausting to wear for longer time

either way, you won't regret it, i would never bother with another set of hadphones if they broke i'd just replace them

• SteveStanSteveStan 2.0 PRO Posts: 81
    Answer ✓
    Interesting thread. I am very late to it but I have 990 Pro coming tomorrow. They are open-end headphones.

My primary reason for this is that when I practice with the kids in home, I do so softly in the master bedroom using the phone. But I also want to be able to hear myself. Otherwise, I normally practice with nobody here (I work from home 80% or more of the time) so I just use speakers for the exercises. My secondary reason is that when I record my voice to see how I am doing, I want to be able to hear it. Closed headphones prevent that.

I found them last night for under 150 after spending 3 hours looking into headphones. I spent quite a bit of time looking at some in the 200$ range but was not willing to go there (250, 300).

I decided that 150 is fine for a starter level open-end headphones. If I ever get to the point I need 400-500$ ones, I am sure I will know it. I was afraid that if I buy 250-300 I will be in between: too much at first, not enough later.

Also, they are all made in Germany.

Anyway, just explaining my logic.

Answers

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Ya know, I should clarify this. I didn’t use them for singing. I used them for listening in on monitors with my PA system. But I did think they were great headphones and very comfortable
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    Thanks again @sjonrokz4u
    I'm keeping the post open in order to collect other opinions
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    I just bough a pair of Shure SRH440 headphones with advice from my local music store, they work quite well for monitoring etc!!
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    edited June 2020
    I am just about to purchase a pair of closed headphones.
    I was thinking between DT770 and Audio technica ATH M50X.
    I want to use them mostly for singing.
    Tbh I am more inclined towards ATH because they look better, and both of them have great reviews so there isn't a bad choice :D (DT770 are most likely more comfy, but I won't be wearing them for long periods of times)
    I guess at the end I wouldn't notice much of a difference since I am new to this, always had cheap audio speakers - well, bough a pair of studio monitors a month ago :p
  • SteveStanSteveStan 2.0 PRO Posts: 81
    wojtek said:

I am just about to purchase a pair of closed headphones.
    I was thinking between DT770 and Audio technica ATH M50X.
    I want to use them mostly for singing.
    Tbh I am more inclined towards ATH because they look better, and both of them have great reviews so there isn't a bad choice :D (DT770 are most likely more comfy, but I won't be wearing them for long periods of times)
    I guess at the end I wouldn't notice much of a difference since I am new to this, always had cheap audio speakers - well, bough a pair of studio monitors a month ago :p

I got mine today. I guess it is semi-open (990 Pro) because it has about 1" 'hole' in the middle of each cup, but:

1/ Yes, I can listen to the exercises and also hear myself properly, which was the #1 reason I got them.

2/ My son complained he hears the music about 10 yards away and not in a completely straight line (my desk to his room) at a level that is normal for me, not too loud.

I assume these will be good when somebody, like your spouse, ha!, wants to be able to be heard while you are listening to something:)