Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

John Legend Cover All Of Me Vocality

VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
Well spent nearly 3 months on this song, it's a song originally done on the song assignments 12 months ago post the original link at the bottom. Edited this in 3 parts just to get the pitch as best as possible (no autotune just redone a few small parts) spent enough time on this song. Done the song in 3 main parts. This song was hard work and my next song will be easier lol I am spent!!

Current

https://youtu.be/ry7aTurbQsQ

Previous 12month ago

https://soundcloud.com/user-655368135-887002322/alloffme-ktva-week-17/s-b4ZPB

Vocality

Comments

• LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    @Vocality Wow what growth! Your current cover is fantastic. I know you work hard on pitch and it shows. Your pitch was really good. You have great power in your vocals. And I always love the earnest emotional quality you bring to all your songs. The gentle head voice parts were very poignant. It was all wonderful. Congrats on an excellent job!
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Love this! You’ve improved a ton on this! Tempo is hard to get right on this song but you got it!
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    Nice improvement! Especially in pitch. This is a really hard song. Have you considered lowering the key? I do that a lot.

One thing I noticed was that it sounds like you have a stuffy nose in several parts...are you breathing through your nose? That would help you access the high notes more easily...more "mask".

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." -Ernest Hemingway
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @LumiMoon Thanks for taking the time to listen to my rendition, glad you like it I put a ton of effort, time and its great to hear everyone improving as well.

Vocality :)
    @Michael4000 @coffeecrank Thanks for you feedback it was a really hard song, about the comment on the stuffy nose sound you both mentioned and about applying mask. Does that mean smile a little more into the sound and breathe through the nose?

@Chris82

Thanks Chris I really pushed the boat out on this song and playing the keyboard helps with timing. Glad you liked it and your doing pretty good as well.

• Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    I don't think it necessarily means smile more, but definitely breathe more through the nose and allow the sound to vibrate more in the mask bones of your face. Try practicing the "witch" sound.
    @michael4000 Thanks will try this out :)
  • d1g2w3d1g2w3 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 465
    Yo @Vocality, what an improvement, your pitch has got so much better. Also, your vowel modifications for you belting register is so much cleaner as well as your placement.

Well done buddy, you should be proud of your improvement.

Danny
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hey George, yeah really cool.

you improved so much!

i think you could try to use less air. also, do you sometimes "experiment" with the tone, as in, for example, sing a song and try with different tension and "exaggerations" of facial expressions, in particular, how much "good" tension you have in the jaw, and which forms you make with your mouth, smaller or exaggerated etc. i find sometimes that the good sounding ones are sometimes quite surprisingly "restricted" in terms of "relative" mouth movement (in relation to the "base" openness Ken teaches us). no idea if this makes sense i kind of discovered it myself, i hope it is not actually "bad tension". i didn't find this to be in the course so far (vol 2)

i sometimes play around with that, and i think i can hear that you have the potential to find a certain "sweet spot", a bit of how focused you funnel / project the sound out of your lips and mouth. just an idea if you aren't already trying it sometimes. maybe it is dumb to even mention this, and everyone does it, but i never see anyone talk about it
    @d1g2w3

Thank you for your comments very proud of the improvements, just hope now can pick up melodies alot faster and it was a really tough song to do but worth it.

@Klaus_T

Thanks for your input think may use a litttle extra air especially on headvoice parts, mainly focusing on the extended chest registers to try to get there with less volume and retain chest sound very difficult did try employing vowel mods there it does help I reckon. As goes with experimenting with tone well not at the moment just want the pitch solid.

Vocality
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    I can definetly hear the before and after difference, nice.
    Looking forward for the 3rd attempt next year and then You should totally nail it! ;)

sorry for going littl off topic, but I would like to ask @Klaus_T about his comment
    Klaus_T said:

i think you could try to use less air. also, do you sometimes "experiment" with the tone, as in, for example, sing a song and try with different tension and "exaggerations" of facial expressions, in particular, how much "good" tension you have in the jaw, and which forms you make with your mouth, smaller or exaggerated etc. i find sometimes that the good sounding ones are sometimes quite surprisingly "restricted" in terms of "relative" mouth movement (in relation to the "base" openness Ken teaches us). no idea if this makes sense i kind of discovered it myself, i hope it is not actually "bad tension". i didn't find this to be in the course so far (vol 2)

i sometimes play around with that, and i think i can hear that you have the potential to find a certain "sweet spot", a bit of how focused you funnel / project the sound out of your lips and mouth. just an idea if you aren't already trying it sometimes. maybe it is dumb to even mention this, and everyone does it, but i never see anyone talk about it

Few weeks ago I started experimenting with something similar. Like I stopped opening my mouth on the AH so much, so now my cheeks go up just a little and my LAH is now mostly a vertically open Vowel and bit narrower.
    Similar in songs, I find sometimes the tone and even the feel to be nicer when I keep my mouth relaxed (limited if any mask, and loosely open mouth) and I redirected my attention to stomach.
    What's more I think this made my bridging a little better, less overal tension in my face, made quite a difference.

I guess it's something along the lines of what You described?
    cheers
    @wojtek Thanks for your comment that song is at the very limits, yes next year maybe make all the difference.
  • Rick_amateurRick_amateur 2.0 PRO Posts: 708
    I kinda vaguely remember the time we did this together as an assignment. You have definitely come a long way since then. I think you just need to keep doing what you're doing and go at your pace. Before, I felt that you had lots of issues. Now, I think you are just figuring out your own style. I think you'll well on your way adding your own style to your covers.
    @Rick_amateur Thanks for the feedback don't want to carbon copy a rendition and seem to add alot of emotion to my renditions guess it's my natural style coming through on my renditions.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I LOVE your head voice in the chorus (the breathiness suits the song) and how much cleaner and resonant your upper chest voice has become. I get really excited hearing your improvements!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Nice work and improvement. This is such a hard song in many ways.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hey! a few comments because you tagged me:

You obviously have a sense of pitch, but it's still shaky. In the later part of the song, you have to be extra aware of your pitch. There are several areas where you go off too much.

To me, it sounds like you are not opening up the sound enough. I'm missing some bright tone and that open throat sound. Your cord closure varies throughout the song, but i would like to hear a tighter sound. Bright, open and supported tone. Some breathiness can be cool for effect, don't get me wrong.

I see some comments about mask and the nasal area etc. You can let those 'hard' areas 'ring'. However, you don't sing straight into the nose, causing that nasal quality you hear from some singers. For example, on the tongue exercise, do you feel your hard palate/nasal area resonate? That's completely fine. That does not equal 'nasal tone'. It actually improves your tone and gives your more control (in my experience). I used to try and avoid this as much as i could, but i simply did not understand it correctly. Ken has a webinar on mask if you're interested. On vowels such as EE it is good to 'use' some of that mask.

Did you ever upload some audio doing the exercises? I would be curious to hear those. Just tag me if you have uploaded some of those, or are going to.

I see from others that you have been improving a lot, so let's keep that trend going. :)

All the best,

Ben
    @Wigs thanks for your comments, this is such a hard song but slowly finding a little more freedom in that upper chest voice. The head voice is more easier to get for me.
    @DogMeat

Thanks for your comments Your correct such a difficult song, it’s a great measure of my progress so far.

edited June 2020
    @bentk

Thanks for the more critical comment, firstly now doing volume 3 and normally do the audio workout. Then wait about 30 minutes to recover before practicing the song, not sure if fatigue maybe playing a part and did try recording with a quick warmup during the day but volume 3 seems to get my upper chest in gear.

The sound did vary a little during the song due to doing the song in 3 main takes and did add software compression and little reverb.

I did a webcam session with Ken recently the main issues were root notes sometimes not quite hitting them accurately enough, vowel mods were like light switches needed smooth transitions and not to sing the bottom too loud. Sometimes letting my support drop on the backside of the scale. He did say I am on a good track though just to lose yodel chip was still present once that was sorted I was good.

Will post a Lah Triad and EE vowel and will be interested to hear your input. Overall for me this is really good progress worked on this song for nearly 3 months now.

@Vocality That is great to hear!

I did not mean to sound harsh. I have no reference point for your progress, but i trust completely that you are progressing.

You are indeed on the right track, and i hope some of my feedback will help you improve. Just tag some people when you upload some exercises and we'll have a listen.

A webcam session with Ken is pretty cool by the way! Hope to do one of those myself some time.

A good workout will indeed get your upper chest into gear, especially when you warm up in that area a lot. I can sing without warming up, but i don't trust my mid-high range to be smooth from the start. If i start singing without warming up, i am warming up on the actual songs. So it will take several songs before i start entering my 'comfort' zone. I also take a little break between my workout and actual singing. Maybe some lip rolls now and then.

Keep going!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Exactly George. I think i recorded myself on it 4 months into KTVA, and it is painfull to listen :smiley:
    Now if i try it again, it is much easier but i don't think i sound good at all. Maybe in a another year or two :smile:
    @bentk

I included a soundcloud link which was my version of this song 12 months ago if you want to listen to. Hopefully post the demos today,

Again thanks for taking the time to help,

Vocality
    @DogMeat Yeah i know this feeling. I really hated to hear myself. I still struggle with it now and then, although that might be insecurity peeking around the corner as well.

@Vocality Thanks for pointing that out!
    @DogMeat

Heard some of your demos and they sound pretty good it could indeed be a little insecurity!!

• shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    I listenend to both... the old and new cover.
    Yes you really improved a lot when talking about the technique, support and pitch. Good job!
    But... to be honest... there is a very natural nice and warm tone in your "older" voice which I miss in your new one.
    For example the "Whats going on in your beautiful mind" (around 00:32 old version) sound sooo lovely.
    And .. now in the newer one it sounds more nasal.
    But I am no expert and cant really tell why ... or which is better.
    edited June 2020
    @shining Thanks for your comments you know I think your right 1st one is little better at that part, but it might be corrected with adjustment and opening up to the sound a little more @bentk mentioned that point might revisit this song later.
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    @Vocality George, what an improvement! Your hard work really shows. I think the long alls were especially good with your emotion coming through.
    @mysti Good to see you again hope your well, yes those Alls I take it was the head voice ones you were commenting on, yes to start with when praticing that part was off a good bit and the I practiced the 4 notes with my keyboard and then it finishes on c4.

It was really hard work and maybe should have dropped it a step or 2 but happy with the progress.

George :)
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said I’m completely unfamiliar with this song but you can definitely hear the amount of work you’ve put in to pitch and it’s paying off
    @sjonrokz4u

Thanks for your comments yes it was a hard song right on the limits of my chest register.

Vocality