Homeā€ŗ Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Endless Rain (X-Japan cover)

Hi Everyone! This is my first time posting a video here. I recorded it for an online project of one of the band members. (It's not my favorite song of X-Japan, though...)

I'm a bit nervous about it, but constructive feedback is always welcome.
I'm not a complete beginner in singing, but I am a complete beginner to KTVA. I think it will help me a lot, since I am still straining my voice when I am belting. (Especially when I am nervous, like in this video.)

Anyway, here is the video, if you're tired of hearing the head voice, you can skip it to 0:58 where I start belting:
https://youtu.be/X8mPzxEi0xo

Btw. I tried to record it with headphones first, but it felt super weird and I started to make mistakes that I usually never make. (I was getting hoarse, which usually never happens.) However, when I listened to it afterwards, the pitch was actually better than the version without headphones.
Does anyone have some advice for me on recording with headphones?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Well done on posting your first video! I remember how it feels but believe me the nervousness gets less everytime. It's can be difficult to give proper feed back on technique in a song because sometimes there are artistic choices we make that is not necessarily "good" technique so I'm guessing a bit here. An example is how you lose cord closure on the top notes in head voice and go into a pure breath, if it's not intentional then you really need to engage support and cut back your air. This is the same as when you try and belt, controlling the air will stop that sudden volume spike that causes you to lose a bit of your pitch.

In Ken's YouTube video on pitch he mentions something that I think is also in his better pitch videos about a Doppler effect while wearing head phones. This is where the different sound pressure makes you hear the sound differently in the phones compared to if it was played in the room. I find I'm usually a bit flat when I've got the phones on but if I lower the volume and keep one ear open I can get much closer pitch when I play back. You might be better with the phones on for now because you were a touch flat from nerves or loss of support without them. I could also be totally wrong but I think that's what's happening.

Feel free to post scales in the student area if you'd like a more detailed analysis on how how are applying the course material. I can hear a really good voice that will developed into something awesome with time and commitment šŸ™‚
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Hi Wigs!
    Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    As for the top notes in head voice I am guessing that it was an artistic choice. I honestly didn't think about what I was doing, but I should be able to hit those notes without air. (As I am originally classical trained)
    But thanks for pointing it out, I do have breath control issues when I sing with a breathy voice, so it's something I need to pay attention to.

As for belting: I agree that I need to learn to control my volume and support. I also noticed that I was a bit flat on some notes. I assume that practice makes perfect and I should get used to singing with headphones over time.

I will definitely post some videos of me singing the scales, because I want to learn the techniques properly. I also scheduled a one hour Webcam class, to make sure I don't screw up the basics.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your last sentence! It really motivated me! I am often really hard on myself, but I am definitely committed to take my voice to the next level.

• aarsenault12aarsenault12 Pro Posts: 27
    I can see a lot of your classical training in the verses, i ilke the belting and the pitch was good. Good job!
    Thanks a lot! And I did get some classical singing lessons when I was younger :)
  • kevinwaynekevinwayne Member Posts: 64
    I heard for good belting, just be p.o.'d a lot :p Like Ken says: Imagine some d00d's snatched your purse. How would you sound?
    Btw: X-Japan's cool, ever do any B'z?
    Thanks Kevinwayne!
    If I guy would snatch my purse I would growl I think haha. What do you mean by "p.o.'d"'?
    I know both the guitarist and the singer of B'z are famous for their skill, but I don't really listen to them actually.
    I think I gave them an unfair chance, though, I only listened to an album from the 90's and I didn't like it so much. But perhaps they've changed over the years.
    NinaST said:

Thanks Kevinwayne!
    IBut perhaps they've changed over the years.

I'd say so ;)

https://youtu.be/8jMk3NVatas