Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
Options

Great Dynamic Mic or Inexpensive Condenser

JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
(Seven weeks into Section 1 of KTVA 2.0)
From performing over past three years;
I have a Sennheiser 938 vocal dynamic XLR stage mic that I am using to record my KTVA scale exercises.

I run the Sennheiser into an M-Audio interface, then into my Mac Mini ito record in GarageBand.

That setup is okay, but I'm wondering if I would do a better job of capturing my vocals by trading in my dynamic Sennheiser for a condenser mic like this one: AKG P120 Project Studio Condenser Microphone
(https://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG/P120-Project-Studio-Condenser-Microphone-1399302057760.gc?pfm=error_page.rr1|RecentHistoricalItems).

I am retired and don't have much money to spend on a great condenser,
so considering my current set up, would an inexpensive condenser mic be worth giving up a great stage mic?
(I dont plan on performing again in the near future...but ya never know )

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i have the perception p220 and think it is a good mic to do home recordings, but definitely not a great one (i am an audio engineer, so at work i use a neumann u87 a lot, so i am a bit spoiled). the 120 is half the price. it must be a starter mic at that price point.

if you say "give up", does that mean you would sell the other one? i can't find the 938 model anywhere online, so hard to say if it would be a good idea to give it up, i don't know that mic.

if you want a condenser, i would probably save up a bit, if you are not in a rush, and get a mic in the 200-300$ range, there are quite good ones in that range (and you will find a few threads on here about it). and if you know you are going to use it for a long time, it will be worth being patient.

honestly, for the scales, even an iphone mic will be "hifi" enough to do the job (in my opinion)

• Options
    Thanks very much, Klaus, for the info. I can't imagine what that it must sound like to hear yourself through that big Neumann mic!

What are you using for an interface/preamp, if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    hehe, i never record myself with this. i record actors for video games.

they use an apollo interface for it. but that would be overkill for at home (it even is there, tbh)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    i did do my warmup in the lunchbreak now there a few times, but only using the booth for privacy, i didn't wear headphones so never heard myself through the mic. i will try it this week, good idea :)
  • Options
    Let me know if you get to do it. What a blast that would be.
  • Options
    DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    edited August 2020
    I have a Neat King Bee mic, very good sound, better than most in it's price range and even above it. ($129). Youtube search 'podcastage' and watch some reviews in that channel, they're very helpful to find a mic that suits your needs