Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
Options

How practice sounds it my head

Hello! I have always been told to ignore how practice sounds in my head. I know the practice works because I can see/hear the results. However, when I am practicing Course lessons/warmups, I find that it sounds very thin to me, almost like a bee. I am a soprano. There is no pain, no discomfort or anything of the like. Just wanted to see what other's experiences are. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    It always sounds different I’m your head. Record and listen back for a better idea
  • Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You might need to get used to it. Recording yourself is a good idea, but you also need to get used to that. Try to listen very well to your recordings. Listen to the resonance, tone, vibrato, transitions between registers etc. Your tone improves over time.

If you are insecure about it, you can always upload some audio here of yourself doing the exercises. You'll get different opinions and help if you need it.

As for my personal experience... I really did not like to hear myself on recordings. However, that improves in time if you stick to the program and keep to quality practice. I don't record myself a lot actually, just to 'check' sometimes. I should be doing it more actually.
  • Options
    gtimlingtimlin 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    Thank you. That helps. I have heard quite a bit that what I'm hearing in my head is very different from what others are hearing. I have a lot of classical training which does sound quite a bit different in my head. I appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!
  • Options
    GutierGutier 2.0 PRO Posts: 99
    Upload your audio training
  • Options
    codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @gtimlin,

When I do the vocal exercises I wear open back headphones and use a condenser mic. In the phones I have a mix of the vocal exercise backing, and my voice though the mic. I find this gives some clarity to the sound, with the mixture of the open back to allow outside resonance to come in, and the sound from the mic mixed with the exercise, I find it a good combination.
    I talk about this setup in a bit more detail here, you may find it useful:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/84689/#Comment_84689

Regards,

Scotty