Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can I really learn to sing on pitch?

Hey guys - I have listened to Ken's YouTube tutorials for some time but before I go in on paying for the course I want some concrete answers on fixing my pitch problem. I cannot sing on pitch. I have been working on it for months and can only just now hum middle C and D. But I cannot hit those notes outside of humming and I can never hit them the first try, I always let a note out and then raise or lower it to match. And that is difficult for me because although I do not think I am tone deaf, I am pretty close. I have played instruments for years so I know a decent amount of music theory.

In short, my question is this: can I actually learn to sing on pitch if I have trouble hearing when I am or am not off?

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobtate24jacobtate24 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys, great to hear. Being a musician I know the dedication and practice it takes so I am definitely willing to put in the time.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro Posts: 14,885
    If you are having difficulties discerning pitch, you may want to use a pitch app along with the course that will help you to know when you are sharp, flat, or right on the money. You can try a free 30 day trial of something like Sing and See.

Ken does give a lot of information about pitch, as well as exercises, but you must also train your ears, brain, and voice to work together. The tone you use with your voice makes a big difference, and Ken shows you how to get the right tone. But you will have to work at it, just like learning to tune a guitar without a tuner. It's very similar, except you are the instrument.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,303
    @jacobtate24

There's another good exercise you can do you need a pitch app for verifcation.

1. Goto www.tonedear.com website select perfect pitch ( this will be your random note generator)
    2. Start off with simple C D E notes.
    3. Listen to the first note sing that note with pitch app running enter the actual note you sung into pitch app and enter it into toned ear.
    4. Do this every day say 15 minutes.

Now C D and E will be played over 3 octave so if a note is too high skip the note and do these gently.

I was amazed how far off I was on some of the notes, found with this exercise quickly zoned in with regular practice.

Vocality