Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

why do I have zero falsetto???

This is me singing into a dodgy laptop mic. Im far from a spectacular singer and prefer to play the guitar, but my voice isnt shockingly airy or woofy, surely? And yet, I have absolutely zero falsetto or any kind of sound at all above an A. I can get up to a G/A with not much bother, but then my voice becomes utterly soundless. Whats going on???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JepotIaU4MY

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Song sounds good I was surprised. I’m not really sure what your asking but maybe because you stay in chest voice and maybe haven’t learned to unlock your head or mix voice you’re kinda cut off at that point
  • Options
    MattoMatto Member Posts: 27
    Thanks man! The thing is i used to have a falsetto just like everyone else - didnt play music for like 2 decades - started recently again and theres just no sound above G/A. No hoarsy, whispery falsetto, no nothing, not even a whisper. Exercises that tell me to begin with falsetto dont work 'cos my falsetto has become non-existent... :/
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    You sound like me I stopped for about the same amount of time used to play Gtr and bass. Look up one of our members on here. He’s put a compilation of kens videos that he used until he bought the course from you tube they may be able to help you. You have to learn or relearn how to negotiate your passagio
  • Options
    Ok, cheers for the comments man!
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    check my profile page for that playlist of free workouts, Matto
  • Options
    Klaus_T said:

check my profile page for that playlist of free workouts, Matto

Thanks a lot, will do
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Are you talking about getting to A4 or A5? An example of what you sound like when it happens would be helpful, from this demo it sounds like your technique is pretty good! To have a well rounded voice, you need to train all aspects of it. If you don't spend time developing your chest, passagio and head voice equally you lose out on a well rounded voice.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    I was about to answer but you took away your responses and I forgot what you wrote.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I actually re-did the above track and tried to focus on better chord closure

https://youtu.be/Uc9Eh4YSR20
  • Options
    This sounded fine, but your voice was lost in the mix a bit. Also I have no reference if cord closure was actually better since you deleted the comparison video.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Having recently realized what twang and headvoice is about and how it feels has opened up a new vocal world for me :p. I now know exactly (i think) why my falsetto was lost - Ive only used chest voice the last 25 years since I stopped playing, but now I can feel that headvoice is a distinctly different space, its like I can feel chest voice as something that occurs below the larynx and head voice is a vibrating feeling above the larynx in and around the nose. It also makes sense now what mixed voice means, since head and chest now feel so distinctly separate for me. I think the goal would be to first be able to get fully into both head and chest, and once youve got that down, learn to blend them smoothly.
  • Options
    edited October 2020